Status
Not open for further replies.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021

blacknchrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2021
If the plugs are covered in carbon it is running rich.

Make sure the choke is working properly.

Check float adjustment.

Will check float adjustment tomorrow. The electric choke has a broken thermostat since July, so it currently doesn’t do anything. I did get a replacement in the mail today, so I’ll be putting that on this week.

blacknchrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2021
If the plugs are covered in carbon it is running rich.

Make sure the choke is working properly.

Check float adjustment.

I think I may be on to something now. After reading that article you shared, I decided to go look at the specs on the fuel pump I installed. It’s listed as 7.5 - 9 psi. I don’t believe I have a fuel regulator installed, so I think the carb is getting too much fuel.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The electric choke is broken. What does that mean exactly? If the choked staying closed all of the time?

I'd STRONGLY recommend to STOP changing parts for no rhyme or reason. Figure out what is wrong before you change or do anyting else.

If the choke is staying closed all of the time, then that's your problem. But everything you've done so far doesn't make sense other than the replacement of the plugs.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

blacknchrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2021
The electric choke is broken. What does that mean exactly? If the choked staying closed all of the time?

I'd STRONGLY recommend to STOP changing parts for no rhyme or reason. Figure out what is wrong before you change or do anyting else.

If the choke is staying closed all of the time, then that's your problem. But everything you've done so far doesn't make sense other than the replacement of the plugs.
The end of the coil in the choke broke, so it doesn’t engage on cold starts. It just stays in the open position.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The end of the coil in the choke broke, so it doesn’t engage on cold starts. It just stays in the open position.
If this is an electric choke on a Holley carb, then that is the opposite of how it should work. It should be closed all of the time rather than open. It could be flopping around from closed to open at will if the spring is broken in multiple locations. But it should start god awful if the choke is stuck open.

Is the choke moving around at will, stuck open or stuck closed? A picture or two of what is going on with this choke with would be worth a 1000 words.

Regardless of your answer, you should resolve this prior to anything else being done IMO. Do you know how to set an electric choke on a Holley?

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
You can also pull the air filter off start it up and put your hand over the carb to act as a choke it should rev up with your hand over the carb.
if it does work on your choke.

blacknchrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2021
If this is an electric choke on a Holley carb, then that is the opposite of how it should work. It should be closed all of the time rather than open. It could be flopping around from closed to open at will if the spring is broken in multiple locations. But it should start god awful if the choke is stuck open.

Is the choke moving around at will, stuck open or stuck closed? A picture or two of what is going on with this choke with would be worth a 1000 words.

Regardless of your answer, you should resolve this prior to anything else being done IMO. Do you know how to set an electric choke on a Holley?
I’m just at work now but will get some photos later tonight. The choke seemed to be stuck open, I’m not too sure if it closes. My father in law knows how to set the choke, so as soon as I can see him he is going to help me get that on.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It’s not hard, actually it’s really easy. Just has to be put on correctly.

The car should pretty bad, if at all, with the choke stuck open until it gets to operating temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor