Car Wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Well, I'll start with the cooler temps there given the time of year, stiff suspension light weight car that is close to 50/50 bias on a short wheel base. Probably an inpatient driver that stabbed it and sent it a little too hard.

Have you driven a Corvette? Not a boomer coupe either, a Z06. Any of them. Whole different car. A C5Z06 with light work can get frisky fast.
impatient driver, illegal pass on a single lane road just past the intersection, doesn't want to get stuck behind the delivery truck, lowest temp of the day was 59, this happened mid-day when in the high 60s low 70s, not raining so no traction issues...... basically, an idiot who removed himself from the human gene pool

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
..this happened mid-day when in the high 60s low 70s, not raining so no traction issues......
There's a reason why I asked you if you've ever driven one of these cars. You side stepped that and replied with the above so that answers it for me.

Street tires on these cars are trash. High 60s/low 70s is by no means warm... so yea that's ice pretty much.

Get behind the wheel of a 650hp 3300lb car and let me know how you do.

Am I justifying the guy's actions? No, he Darwin'd himself out properly.

I'm just explaining the factors here.

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
impatient driver, illegal pass on a single lane road just past the intersection, doesn't want to get stuck behind the delivery truck, lowest temp of the day was 59, this happened mid-day when in the high 60s low 70s, not raining so no traction issues...... basically, an idiot who removed himself from the human gene pool
When you drive a high horse car you've got to prep it right and wait to get on it till you warm up the tires a bit.

There's a reason I run pilot sport 4s on the pair of our mustang GTs. Even a relatively mild ~500hp will get you in trouble fast. Stickier tires and warm em up a bit helps, but you still have to drive responsible.

That's why you see so many mustang Wipeout videos, and, it's going to get worse. A stock 430hp version with higher miles for just over $10k? And usually riding on cheap crap tires? Add in dumb drivers and it won't end pretty.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
There's a reason why I asked you if you've ever driven one of these cars. You side stepped that and replied with the above so that answers it for me.

Street tires on these cars are trash. High 60s/low 70s is by no means warm... so yea that's ice pretty much.

Get behind the wheel of a 650hp 3300lb car and let me know how you do.

Am I justifying the guy's actions? No, he Darwin'd himself out properly.

I'm just explaining the factors here.
the only relevant factor here is ..... driving ANY high horsepower car and acting stupid will negate any experience driving said vehicle-type. I have respect for what that type of vehicle can do regardless of any experience I may or may not have driving said vehicle and I would not have done what this Darwin Award winner did.

high 60s low 70s is not ice by any stretch of the imagination. we don't know the tires he had, we don't know how warmed up the tires were. I sidestepped nothing, I ignored irrelevancies. Whether I've driven a vehicle like this is completely irrelevant.

• Agree

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
the only relevant factor here is ..... driving ANY high horsepower car and acting stupid will negate any experience driving said vehicle-type. I have respect for what that type of vehicle can do regardless of any experience I may or may not have driving said vehicle and I would not have done what this Darwin Award winner did.

high 60s low 70s is not ice by any stretch of the imagination. we don't know the tires he had, we don't know how warmed up the tires were. I sidestepped nothing, I ignored irrelevancies. Whether I've driven a vehicle like this is completely irrelevant.
Acting stupid will get you in trouble with anything anywhere, that's facts of life.

You have enough power on cold tires and cold road, it's ice.. two of us already said this. My Bolt-on & Tuned C5Z06 will absolutely float the rear tires out from under it as I'm going through the RPMs even in 3rd, cold street tires are trash. On scale it was 3085lbs, lighter than that C7Z06 all day. Power and no *ss to plant it, not a good combo to the rookie drivers.

Let me explain the factors that are relevant where I asked if you have the experience:

Corvette Z06 is damn near a 50/50 bias car. Excellent for cornering and road course. Short wheel base helps here too. However, with both combined, you will lose it faster and the rear with half the chassis weight is slinging around the front fast. Steer into it quick or ride out the wreck. Add stiff suspension to amplify any bumps or uneven road surfaces. Can become unstable quickly.

Front engine car with more of that weight up front and longer wheel base, much easier to control.

I play with both of my cars enough to feel them out, BIG difference between my Monte SS and my C5Z06. I have pushed both where I know what they can do. That's how you learn. Z06 on street tires with all the factory assists off is asking to wipe it out.

So yea, experience is relevant here, feel free to divulge yours like I asked, we are just discussing it. If you never have then just say it, Corvettes are fun cars. You can say "may or may not have done", the point is these cars get out from under you MUCH faster than you think. Takes knowing your car to another level. First is respecting it, then learning it.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If you want squirrely I had an 88 fiero notchback swapped to a series 3 3800 supercharged, VS cam, Northstar TB, 2.8" pulley, and intercooler. Dyno'd right around 320 rwhp, but, only weighed in 2500 pounds after a weight diet putting lighter rims, ditching things like spare, jack, replacing the factory tank for a smaller fuel cell, etc.

That little homebrew swap is where I learned quickly that tires and temps mattered... miss it too, was a fun little go-cart to drive. It had fierostore drop springs and kyb adjustable, so, you felt every crack in the road, but, still... fun toy.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Acting stupid will get you in trouble with anything anywhere, that's facts of life.

You have enough power on cold tires and cold road, it's ice.. two of us already said this. My Bolt-on & Tuned C5Z06 will absolutely float the rear tires out from under it as I'm going through the RPMs even in 3rd, cold street tires are trash. On scale it was 3085lbs, lighter than that C7Z06 all day. Power and no *ss to plant it, not a good combo to the rookie drivers.

Let me explain the factors that are relevant where I asked if you have the experience:

Corvette Z06 is damn near a 50/50 bias car. Excellent for cornering and road course. Short wheel base helps here too. However, with both combined, you will lose it faster and the rear with half the chassis weight is slinging around the front fast. Steer into it quick or ride out the wreck. Add stiff suspension to amplify any bumps or uneven road surfaces. Can become unstable quickly.

Front engine car with more of that weight up front and longer wheel base, much easier to control.

I play with both of my cars enough to feel them out, BIG difference between my Monte SS and my C5Z06. I have pushed both where I know what they can do. That's how you learn. Z06 on street tires with all the factory assists off is asking to wipe it out.

So yea, experience is relevant here, feel free to divulge yours like I asked, we are just discussing it. If you never have then just say it, Corvettes are fun cars. You can say "may or may not have done", the point is these cars get out from under you MUCH faster than you think. Takes knowing your car to another level. First is respecting it, then learning it.
again, you bring all the unknown factors into this discussion. the only known factor in this car wreck is the 34 yr old was driving like a dumbass (including performing illegal maneuvers). Period. End. Stop. Nothing else is irrelevant (your car, my driving experience, the dead drivers driving expertise) because nothing else is known. NOTHING. Even if you 'know' your car and drive like a dumbass, you're gonna pay the price.

... just like this guy did...

I know the rest of the story this article doesn't tell you. He was an 'experienced' driver who drove stupid that night. Essentially, he kept breaking traction on the way down the strip and then kept getting back on it on the same pass. On his second leadfoot stomp, the car broke loose and got hung up on the guard rail, slid down it at 120mph and then hit a big tree right along that rail. you'll notice the vehicle is in 2 pieces.
he didn't respect the conditions, he was stupid, he died.

1665703310293.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
again, you bring all the unknown factors into this discussion. the only known factor in this car wreck is the 34 yr old was driving like a dumbass (including performing illegal maneuvers). Period. End. Stop. Nothing else is irrelevant (your car, my driving experience, the dead drivers driving expertise) because nothing else is known. NOTHING. Even if you 'know' your car and drive like a dumbass, you're gonna pay the price.
600+hp, 50/50 bias car, short wheel base, stiff suspension...

Yup, sure are "unknown factors".

Put your head in some specs, get back to us for this technical discussion.

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
... just like this guy did...

I know the rest of the story this article doesn't tell you. He was an 'experienced' driver who drove stupid that night. Essentially, he kept breaking traction on the way down the strip and then kept getting back on it on the same pass. On his second leadfoot stomp, the car broke loose and got hung up on the guard rail, slid down it at 120mph and then hit a big tree right along that rail. you'll notice the vehicle is in 2 pieces.
he didn't respect the conditions, he was stupid, he died.

View attachment 208897
So in your thoughts power of the car had absolutely nothing to do with that wreck. Got ya..🙄

I'm gonna explain something about me that some of you have found out already. I expect us adults to come into discussions with legitimate facts, from experience preferably. I'll give you an ear to that aspect more over the keyboard warrior spouting off crap like it's something, but not backing it up.

I expect better out of some of you men here that have years of age on me so step it up.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
So in your thoughts power of the car had absolutely nothing to do with that wreck. Got ya..🙄

I'm gonna explain something about me that some of you have found out already. I expect us adults to come into discussions with legitimate facts, from experience preferably. I'll give you an ear to that aspect more over the keyboard warrior spouting off crap like it's something, but not backing it up.

I expect better out of some of you men here that have years of age on me so step it up.
so now you're a mindreader? yeah, where did I say power of the car had nothing to do with it? I specifically said "the only relevant factor here is ..... driving ANY high horsepower car and acting stupid will negate any experience driving said vehicle-type. I have respect for what that type of vehicle can do regardless of any experience I may or may not have driving said vehicle"

I also said "the only known factor in this car wreck is the 34 yr old was driving like a dumbass (including performing illegal maneuvers). Period. End. Stop. Nothing else is irrelevant (your car, my driving experience, the dead drivers driving expertise) because nothing else is known. NOTHING. Even if you 'know' your car and drive like a dumbass, you're gonna pay the price."

and you can also stop ragging on other forum members with "years of age on you" (aka, more experience and wisdom) about "expecting better out of them". if I'm off-base, they'll jump in and say so.
go ahead and keep beating this to death and trying to make it look like you know everything and just always having to have the last word. I'm done being reasonable with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor