Carb Mixture Screws / Gas Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Edelbrock 1405 Carburetor

So i rebuilt my carb for no apparent reason. Just because it was 10yrs old and very dirty. Thought rebuilding it would finish fine tuning my idle. So i used new gaskets, needles, and floaters. Everything else I re used.

My original floaters were nowhere near 7/16 - 15/16 heights so I removed them and set them aside. I adjusted the new floaters to the 7/16 - 15/16 height. Cleaned everything with degreaser and water then blew with a keyboard compressed air can (not sure if this is strong enough)

After assembly and installation, my idle mixture screws have no effect when adjusting them while the engine is on. There is also a hole on the passenger side of the carb under where the electric choke goes. This hole sucks air while engine is on and leaks gas while engine is off.

So after all this, the carb does an awkward sound from time to time (maybe every 5-10 seconds) and i can't get the mixture screws to adjust. Also the driver side jet seems to be dumping little to no gas. Does the floaters have anything to do with it? Is the vacuum sucking hole normal?

Thanks fellas.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Ok so i determined that the hole is supposed to be plugged with a screw by googling some 1405 photos.
received_2651433551812236.jpeg

Now i was planning on removing the top and swapping out the floaters to my old original ones until i pulled the rod tabs and seen one of them was stuck. Not sure how it got stuck eat past the surface level. I unstuck it and the hole is not leaking gas after i shut the engine off anymore, so maybe that was causing it to flood and leak?
received_750620439007347.jpeg

However, the mixture screws still have no affect while adjusting them. If i pull them completely out, the engine will idle high then die out after about 10 seconds.

If anybody can shine the light on what's going on, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old ElCo Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2020
Youare looking at the boosters flowing gas at idle speed and they should not be doing that.They are the reason your mixture screws are not having any effect on the way your car is idling.
Here's some things you need to fix to help you get this running right.The float levels are probably too high, you should look up and find a "float drop" specification.This is a measured height that the floats will drop when you measure them with the carb open.
The specifications you posted don't look correct.7/16 is close to a half of an inch while 15/16 is almost a whole inch so either you typed wrong or the specs you're using are wrong.You should double check whats written down or where ever you are getting your specs from.
Once you get those straightened out you need to seal that vacuum leak and get the idle to run without using too much of the idle speed screw.The faster you make it idle the less the mixture screws will affect your idle condition.So on a stock engine the idle should be about 700-800 in park (or less if it will idle lower that's good).
Use a vacuum gauge while adjusting the idle and watch what its doing.Adjust the mixture screws for the highest vac reading at idle.
Remember those booster venturi's are the main circuit and should only be flowing gas while at much higher rpm's while you're in gear and driving and not while its idling.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor