Carb out

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
I took my carb out because I think the problem is its flooding and overflowing so it chokes my car out.
I have seen the gas leak out from the base of the carb onto my intake, so I took it off.
So I came here to ask is there anything I could possibly do to help this one out without buying a new one or rebuild.
Is there anything I could clean or wash out to help and recover this old one.
Or will I have to take the route of getting a new one?

Thanks in advance.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Check to see if the float isn't stuck, and that it actually floats. Also, check and see if the needle is closing properly and see if it stops fuel flow when closed.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Sounds to me like you just need a really good cleaning and a rebuild. Also, a new carburetor flange gasket (and not the cheap little Mr. Gasket gasket)

Bigge91

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2011
Marion Indiana
RITTER said:
Sounds to me like you just need a really good cleaning and a rebuild. Also, a new carburetor flange gasket (and not the cheap little Mr. Gasket gasket)
i hear a edelbrock comming on lol that the route id go...very easy to tune and adjust...i have a quad jet off my cutlass lying around if your wanting a quad jet...it prob need rebuilt though...

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
RITTER said:

That's what I was thinking too.
Okay thanks.

But I do know I could get a cheap used carb or get the one from a guy here for only 75 in box and its a eldelbrock.
I was wondering if that would be a easier route?

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bigge91 said:
RITTER said:
i hear a edelbrock comming on lol that the route id go...very easy to tune and adjust...i have a quad jet off my cutlass lying around if your wanting a quad jet...it prob need rebuilt though...

That's what I was thinking as well cause there is a guy on here with a edelbrock for 75 in box never used.
I was thinking just to do that and get it over with.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Re: Carb out !update!

I took it out cleaned it, put a little lubricant on all the parts incase they were sticking.
Put it back in and starter it up, It started up a lot better and actually engaged when I put it in reverse and drive got a little more "kick" out of it.
Not just the coasting feel.
But after a second it just gave out backfired the gas out of the carb and died.
Now the car will start up but not idle.

I don't know if its just getting far to much gas, that's what I believe it is.
You can see the gas go in and you can hear it choking out, seems like way to much gas going in and just killing the car.

I am in need of fixing this problem.
I am going to take it back out I assume, But any suggestions on what I should try or do now?

Bigge91

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2011
Marion Indiana

David Williamson said:
I took it out cleaned it, put a little lubricant on all the parts incase they were sticking.
Put it back in and starter it up, It started up a lot better and actually engaged when I put it in reverse and drive got a little more "kick" out of it.

You can see the gas go in and you can hear it choking out, seems like way to much gas going in and just killing the car.

I am going to take it back out I assume, But any suggestions on what I should try or do now?
sounds like something is being stuck open...id say honestly get 75 out and send it to the guy...it would be easier, plue edelbrocks carbs have a dvd showing EVERYTHING you need to no about a carb...if you need it , i can send it to you...
Ethan

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011

Bigge91 said:
David Williamson said:

sounds like something is being stuck open...id say honestly get 75 out and send it to the guy...it would be easier, plue edelbrocks carbs have a dvd showing EVERYTHING you need to no about a carb...if you need it , i can send it to you...
Ethan

I think that's what I am going to do.
Hes supposed to send me pictures, but I guess he hasn't been on.
But I am going to get a hold of him and grab it from him.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor