Carb out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You're also going to need an adapter plate for the Edelbrock onto the stock Q-jet manifold. They aren't expensive.
Don't throw away the original carb. You may decide to have it rebuilt one day.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1401/

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
One of the best skills you can acquire in the old car hobby is learning how to rebuild a carb. Lots of books on the subject and from personal experience I can say that 99.9% of all carb problems are caused by dirt. Sounds like either the float needle is sticking open, from dirt, or the float has absorbed fuel and is sinking. That's why I like brass floats, no guesing games.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Longroof79 said:
You're also going to need an adapter plate for the Edelbrock onto the stock Q-jet manifold. They aren't expensive.
Don't throw away the original carb. You may decide to have it rebuilt one day.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1401/

The guy says he has one for me, But if its not right he said you can get them for 20 at autozone.
Is that the exact one I would need?
I wasn't going to sell it, I might rebuild so I have one left over just in case me or anyone ever needs one.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
One of the best skills you can acquire in the old car hobby is learning how to rebuild a carb. Lots of books on the subject and from personal experience I can say that 99.9% of all carb problems are caused by dirt. Sounds like either the float needle is sticking open, from dirt, or the float has absorbed fuel and is sinking. That's why I like brass floats, no guesing games.

Yeah I am going to take it apart and fool with it a bit read up or watch videos.
I am going to clean it really well and take it apart to see if I can see the problem then.

Brass floats how could I get one of them?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Google carb parts suppliers. I used a place in Cali but I can't remember who. I bought about 30 of various sizes that fit 67' to 70', 71' to 74', 75' to 81', etc.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
Google carb parts suppliers. I used a place in Cali but I can't remember who. I bought about 30 of various sizes that fit 67' to 70', 71' to 74', 75' to 81', etc.

I was wondering if I should go to pull apart and get the nicest one I'm low on money right now and there only 20.00, is it a good idea?

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
David Williamson said:
dream on mcss said:
Check to see if the float isn't stuck, and that it actually floats. Also, check and see if the needle is closing properly and see if it stops fuel flow when closed.

How would I go about checking those?

To see if the float is stuck, simply move it up and down and feel for any resistance. To check if it floats, set it in a bowl of fuel and see if it sinks. If the float is sinking, its gonna flood out your carb. To check if the needle is sealing off the fuel, hold it closed and spray some carb cleaner in the fuel inlet. If carb cleaner comes out the needle, its leaky. Im not too familiar with larger carbs but thats what I know from working on small engines. Worst case scenario is that you need a rebuild kit, they're not too expensive. Good luck!

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
What type of carb are you dealing with here? Quadrajet, Holley, Barry Grant? I am assuming your working with a quadrajet. As far as rebuilding it, I think the last carb you would wanna cut your teeth on would be a quadrajet. You said it is spitting fuel and not idling, did you ever get your timing fixed, if so what did they do? As far as pulling one off a car, thats hit or miss. I would save the money for an edelbrock 600, they are one of the best carbs you can buy and throw it on and run. To get the most performance tuning would be recommended but I guarantee out of the box your car would run great with it. That never used edelbrock for 75 is the ticket, you will have probably 40 into a rebuild kit. Might as well buy a carb. Chances are that old quadrajet needs more than a rebuild as well, possibly bushings.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
What type of carb are you dealing with here? Quadrajet, Holley, Barry Grant? I am assuming your working with a quadrajet. As far as rebuilding it, I think the last carb you would wanna cut your teeth on would be a quadrajet. You said it is spitting fuel and not idling, did you ever get your timing fixed, if so what did they do? As far as pulling one off a car, thats hit or miss. I would save the money for an edelbrock 600, they are one of the best carbs you can buy and throw it on and run. To get the most performance tuning would be recommended but I guarantee out of the box your car would run great with it. That never used edelbrock for 75 is the ticket, you will have probably 40 into a rebuild kit. Might as well buy a carb. Chances are that old quadrajet needs more than a rebuild as well, possibly bushings.

The timing was good, I found out.
Its just the carb and something with the gears not engaging.
The carb will flood and choke out.

That's what I am thinking as well, I just don't have 75$ that's my big problem I cant afford it at the moment.
But I know it will run perfect when swapped onto it.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
dream on mcss said:
David Williamson said:
dream on mcss said:
Check to see if the float isn't stuck, and that it actually floats. Also, check and see if the needle is closing properly and see if it stops fuel flow when closed.

How would I go about checking those?

To see if the float is stuck, simply move it up and down and feel for any resistance. To check if it floats, set it in a bowl of fuel and see if it sinks. If the float is sinking, its gonna flood out your carb. To check if the needle is sealing off the fuel, hold it closed and spray some carb cleaner in the fuel inlet. If carb cleaner comes out the needle, its leaky. Im not too familiar with larger carbs but thats what I know from working on small engines. Worst case scenario is that you need a rebuild kit, they're not too expensive. Good luck!

I actually put some cleaner into it and it never leaked out until I put it upside down.
But as far as putting it in fuel I haven't done that yet, but I will try.
Cause anything that can save me money is what I am going with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor