Carb out

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
What do you mean gears not engaging? Are you talking about timing gears?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
David Williamson said:
The timing was good, I found out.

Are you 100% sure on that? Who did it and exactly how did they do it? What was the base timing set to?

Don't ever assume something is done right, because it usually isn't. You always need to verify. My friends 86 442 was 'fine', even though it ran 19's at the track. Checked timing and it was set to 0 but shoul've been at 20. So much for the timing being set 'properly' as she swore it was.

EDIT; I see you have a Chubby engine in your Cutlass, so your timing would be different.

Its just the carb and something with the gears not engaging.

What does this mean exactly?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
First off, if the carb is so old that the gaskets are shot and it looks like it was dipped in crud, then a total rebuild is in order anyway, just by opening it. But if it's looking clean, and the gaskets look solid and can be reused, then a cleaning won't cost you any more than a can of carb cleaner. A cleaning is just that, open her up, spray out all the passages, verify float setting, and put her back together. If it requires a kit, you can find rebuild kits cheap at RockAuto.com. A Q-jet has a few quirks that any Rochester book or internet tutorial will explain. And you did research Q-jet rebuilding, right? If not, or you are all thumbs, then don't bother, buy another carb.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
What do you mean gears not engaging? Are you talking about timing gears?

All I know is, when I put it in reverse drive etc etc.... It will go into gear but it will only coast, if I push the gas it will not get up and go you can hear the engine itself roaring but the car itself will not go faster than coast speed.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
DoubleV said:
David Williamson said:
The timing was good, I found out.

Are you 100% sure on that? Who did it and exactly how did they do it? What was the base timing set to?

Don't ever assume something is done right, because it usually isn't. You always need to verify. My friends 86 442 was 'fine', even though it ran 19's at the track. Checked timing and it was set to 0 but shoul've been at 20. So much for the timing being set 'properly' as she swore it was.

EDIT; I see you have a Chubby engine in your Cutlass, so your timing would be different.

Its just the carb and something with the gears not engaging.

What does this mean exactly?

My brother did it and I couldn't tell you what it was set too.
I know what your saying though.

I just wish I knew/was smart enough to fix my own car but I am scared I will mess something up.
I usually never have help.

All I know is, when I put it in reverse drive etc etc.... It will go into gear but it will only coast, if I push the gas it will not get up and go you can hear the engine itself roaring but the car itself will not go faster than coast speed.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
First off, if the carb is so old that the gaskets are shot and it looks like it was dipped in crud, then a total rebuild is in order anyway, just by opening it. But if it's looking clean, and the gaskets look solid and can be reused, then a cleaning won't cost you any more than a can of carb cleaner. A cleaning is just that, open her up, spray out all the passages, verify float setting, and put her back together. If it requires a kit, you can find rebuild kits cheap at RockAuto.com. A Q-jet has a few quirks that any Rochester book or internet tutorial will explain. And you did research Q-jet rebuilding, right? If not, or you are all thumbs, then don't bother, buy another carb.

I am just going to try and buy a whole new one.
Not because I cant do the rebuild but because I just don't want to waste time or money when I could just buy a new one and be set.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
see if there is a local guy who rebuilds the q-jets. You'll get a better carb if it's rebuilt by someone who knows them and it'll most likely be cheaper than a store rebuilt carb.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Not to mention that getting the original, meant-for-that-car carb rebuilt will put things back the way they should be.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
pontiacgp said:
see if there is a local guy who rebuilds the q-jets. You'll get a better carb if it's rebuilt by someone who knows them and it'll most likely be cheaper than a store rebuilt carb.

I was thinking I could go to the pull a part and get a good one from there.
Or a even nicer one, I went there today and walked by a older car and it had a 454 in it, then right next to it a impala had a block and it had a brand new holley, Like it looked as if they just bought this right when they were scrapping it.
I was thinking I could go there and grab one for around 25$

I don't know I am just trying to get this running, I am literally overwhelmed with emotion from this whole ordeal.
I am on the verge of just giving this car away I am getting so frustrated with all the people around me babbling and people ripping me off.

But I will try to find a guy unless you all think it would be easy if I just pulled a newer looking one from pull a part or amens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor