Carb Stalling Troubleshooting...Flooded ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
the GTO would rev up sitting still and ran like a top, till you went down the road about 2 miles then it would start sputtering and shut off. you could restart and do it all over again. i changed the coil, plugs ,points and condenser and rebuilt the carb. when i got the tank off there was enough water in the bottom of the tank to just cup in the palm of your hand, that's all! and that is all it takes. if there is a lot of water it will hardly run at all, but a small amount is exactly what you are describing,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Rust hole on the fuel tank or a busted seal on the sender would do that right?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
...or should initial timing be tested with the distributor vacuum hose disconnected from the distributor and connected to the carburetor ?
Tried it this way on initial timing check with the dialer on 8° and it shows 8° on the timing mark and tab...

Timing seems to be correct but I'm still fluctuating from 14-12hg on the vacuum gauge... Idles nice, but dies at the flick of the throttle.

Last edited:

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Did a vacuum leak smoke test and smoke is coming out from the drivers side under the carburetor...

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Did a vacuum leak smoke test and smoke is coming out from the drivers side under the carburetor...
Bad gasket or bolts aren’t down sufficiently there.

However at least now you know where the leak is. Fix that, make sure your timing is good then after tune the carburetor screws bud.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Bad gasket or bolts aren’t down sufficiently there.

However at least now you know where the leak is. Fix that, make sure your timing is good then after tune the carburetor screws bud.
Gotcha... 👍🏾

On the timing...How about this ?

Other guys told me 12-14 intial timing and 36ish total all around in 3500 rpm, and set idle rpm at 800 in drive in another forum ...
Screenshot_20211005-095724_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211005-095418_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor