carb, starter and fly wheel problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
I am having problems with my carb and was wondering if everything is hooked up right?
I will have pictures up in a few.
I am also having problems with my starter and fly wheel, Whenever I try to start my car you hear a loud clank noise as if something is hitting.
I have heard of the fly wheel hitting the starter, I checked and I seen that its starting to chip a little bit not much but they have hit a few times.
What I was wondering was, is there any way I can help stop this.
Like take the starter off and put it back on a bit further from the fly wheel.
Or do I have to take it to a shop to get everything fixed.
Because I called a shop and they quoted me $476.00 just for the fly wheel and starter, and I cant do that at all.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Are the bolts tight? Broken? Are there shims between the starter and block? Most GM's use shims to get a drivegear-to-flywhweel clearance of, I think .020" or so.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the starter was working ok at some point it would not be a problem with the starter not lining up now. It could be just a bad starter or like Mark suggested, loose bolts on the torque converter or the starter bolts loosened up

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
Are the bolts tight? Broken? Are there shims between the starter and block? Most GM's use shims to get a drivegear-to-flywhweel clearance of, I think .020" or so.

My friend was telling me about them, but I don't have them.
I looked and there's nothing.
The bolts seem fine no damage to them, as far as I can see, but I am going to take the whole starter off and just go get it checked.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
pontiacgp said:
if the starter was working ok at some point it would not be a problem with the starter not lining up now. It could be just a bad starter or like Mark suggested, loose bolts on the torque converter or the starter bolts loosened up

I think so to and I have a warranty on it so if its bad I will just get a new one.
But as far as the bolts I will take them off in a little while so I can check them and check the starter at autozone to see if its bad or good.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey Steve, did they even use shims on SBC? I know it's critical on a Pontiac.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
They did but I have not heard of anyone having to use them in recent decades. There's been a few on here who have never used them and in all the starters they have installed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor