carb, starter and fly wheel problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
David...you said you get a clank when you try to start it...does it start or it's doesn't engage at all?

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
pontiacgp said:
David...you said you get a clank when you try to start it...does it start or it's doesn't engage at all?

See that's the thing sometimes it will clank and not start it will just stop after the clank. Sometimes it will clank and start but run rough.
And sometimes it will not clank and will start up fine without the clank or hitting.
Its weird.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, as always. It's time to get it up in the air and take a peek. Never spend money without verifying the problem.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
Well, as always. It's time to get it up in the air and take a peek. Never spend money without verifying the problem.

I know that's what I said as well I don't want to assume the problem and it no be it. So I took a camera under there and started it. Here's what I caught.
http://youtu.be/7auDqjGRgrI
you can clearly see the movement of the starter when started.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Are you sure the starter is tight? It moves around a lot. It looks like it is either loose or binding. I had a starter go out within a few days of buying it, it started rolling over slow like a dead battery then a clank and eventually it went to only rolling a half turn or so. What is going on with your carb now? You got the new one on there right?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree, loose starter. Something's wrong there. Maybe the bolts are bottoming before the starter is tight, and I think you should use a bracket at the FRONT to stabilize it. Most cars come with the forward bracket, then when the starter gets changed it's too difficult to replace so it gets left off. But it prevents exactly what you are experiencing. I also see an electric choke not wired up, so the fast idle will NEVER come down, and if it's set at 6,000 you see where I'm going with this. I also see a rubber carb fuel line where a steel one should be- a tragedy waiting to happen.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
Are you sure the starter is tight? It moves around a lot. It looks like it is either loose or binding. I had a starter go out within a few days of buying it, it started rolling over slow like a dead battery then a clank and eventually it went to only rolling a half turn or so. What is going on with your carb now? You got the new one on there right?

I am going to see about the bolts on the starter today, was in the E.R for 10 hours so plans tonight were ruined.
But I am sure I have it on right, but you could look at the pictures and see if all vac lines are going into the right ports.
But mostly just spitting out gas from the choke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor