Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
sometimes gas will spit out the top into my air filter area aswell
I'm thinking the 400K plastic float is shot and flooding. That gives you sooty spark plugs and all around crummy running (shaking). Since it's been sitting for so long I'd say a carb rebuild and general tune-up are way overdue.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Johnnyboy559

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2018
Not in Cal they can't. I have cured many a grumpy idle by richening them but as soon as a smog tech sees the open plugs game over. Same with the vacuum trick. A vacuum leak will disguise a rich condition but will cause other problems that won't fly in Cal. Here in NYC we vacuum leaked around emissions plenty of times. OP- forget that. Get it rebuilt by someone who really knows what they are doing. Not an off-the-shelf replacement. Get the ORIGINAL carb rebuilt and keep it on that car. It is the ONLY carb that belongs there. After 400K I think it deserves a break- eh?
Thank you for all your advice much appreciated I'm getting a rebuilt quadrajet or refurbished basically from national carburators. The exact same one I have but of course like new. I know it's the carburator giving me problems and rebuild to this one would be cool but 400k carb. With rusty parts on the extirior. I'll replace it with its twin.

Johnnyboy559

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2018
The idle air bleed plug can only be seen if they take the air cleaner lid off, and that is the main adjustment for idle mixture. Generally adjustment is a last ditch move if nothing appears to be broken.

Agree about getting the original carb rebuilt.

First thing is we need to know if the OP's car is indeed running rich. It can be hard to tell a rich exhaust from a lean exhaust, making a misdiagnosis easy.
how can you tell it its rich or lean? I would think it's rich from start to run the car smells way to gasy

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how can you tell it its rich or lean? I would think it's rich from start to run the car smells way to gasy

you mentioned gas would spurt into the air cleaner so if I was to make a wild guess I would say it is running rich

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor