Carburetor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
Just left the machine shop and they have finally started my engine. He told me that I need to take the eldelbrock 600 off and put a quick fuel 680 on it. What is the best carburetor to put on my engine? 305 bored 30 over, eldelbrock intake without EGR, and 268 comp cam. The engine would stall out once you release the gas. Do you think I should buy one of rebuild the one I got?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
My preference would be to toss the edelbrock and install a q-jet. It seems as though any time I use an aftermarket carb it needs to be tweaked a couple times a year. The qjet ( when tuned ) seems to hold that tune better.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
axisg said:
My preference would be to toss the edelbrock and install a q-jet. It seems as though any time I use an aftermarket carb it needs to be tweaked a couple times a year. The qjet ( when tuned ) seems to hold that tune better.

I was thinking the same, because when my uncle first got the engine build he had a q-jet on it. Do you know where I can get a good one from or the model number?

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
In my opinion you either need to get a good carb core and build it yourself or go to a good reputable builder that will build it to your engine specs. Too many of the big rebuilders just throw all of the parts into a cleaner and throw carbs back together with mixed up parts. I got my kit and jets from Cliff Ruggles and he also offers to rebuild yours or sell you a carb. He has a great book on how to do it yourself also. http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

I bought a Holly rebuilt Quadrajet for my last project and the primary metering rods were not even in the main jets and both were bent due to that.

cutlass1914

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2013
Mississippi
I recommend an original rochester Q'Jet non compute controled. I got one off ebay for 209. Alot of people frown on the Q'jet but I think they are great reliable carbs. They got their bad names from people over tightening the bolts and warping the main casing. Also from stripping out the fuel inlet port by tighting it improperly.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
You can grab a great core from Ebay also. Look at the photos very carefully and make sure nothing Is missing. If the plugs are still on front of the idle mixture screws then it is likely unmolested. I paid $40.00 for mine knowing it needed re-building.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
Thanks for the help. Even though I rebuild Dell laptops every day, I do not know anything about rebuilding a carburetor. I will try to purchase one that is already build. 86 Grand prix I will call Cliff to see what he has them for and I will look on ebay also. Cutlass 1914 I am also about to read about Rochester Q’jets.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
1979Calais said:
Just left the machine shop and they have finally started my engine. He told me that I need to take the eldelbrock 600 off and put a quick fuel 680 on it.

Why? Because they sell Quick Fuel 680's and they want to sell you one? I personally do not like Edelbrock carbs, but there's no reason your current Edel 600 shouldn't work.

What is the best carburetor to put on my engine?

A properly built/calibrated/tuned Qjet. Unless you have a radical race engine and/or racing is your primary goal, the answer to almost EVERY 'what carb should I get' question is a properly built/calibrated/tuned Qjet.

305 bored 30 over, eldelbrock intake without EGR, and 268 comp cam.

You actually did a full blown rebuild on a 305?

The engine would stall out once you release the gas. Do you think I should buy one of rebuild the one I got?

Did you do any tuning on the engine yet? Did it always stall out on you even before the engine rebuild? Is it a known good carb?

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
They don’t sell carburetors at all, he told me to get one from summit. My engine was bored 30 over by my uncle (cousin did the work) 10-15 years ago. I took it to the machine shop to get a bigger cam put in and found that I had a cracked head, so I got the heads redone. I took my carb off back in November or December when I took the engine out. He told me that I may have had gas sitting in it, which I believe I did. The car was running good when I took it out the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor