Chainsaw Guys

Nov 4, 2012
So I have a lot (probably 20+) large fallen trees in my back woods and for the most part I don't give a sh*t about what happens in the woods, but some of them have termites in them, and I don't want them spreading to the nearby healthy trees or God forbid my house. So I'm gonna be cutting them all up and clearing them out. I've got one great little chainsaw, my Echo CS-310, but I'd be able to get the job done a lot faster if I had a second saw so my dad and I can cut at the same time. I can borrow one, but I don't really like borrowing tools, and I'm always looking for reasons to buy toys.

I could (and may) go out and buy another Echo, but for the sake of variety I'd like to look at Stihl. The MS-170 and MS-180 are the two I'm considering. The Stihl dealership has the MS-170 on sale for $160 down from $180 right now. The MS-180 is $200. The CS-310 runs $200. Obviously I'll buy a case and a spare chain with it.

I know these are all residential saws, but that's really all I need. The saw will probably get used a lot for clearing out the woods, and then maybe 4 or so times a year after that. Anyone with any experience with these models? Is the 180 worth another $40 over the 170? Are the lower end Stihl saws built with the same quality as their commercial saws?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What I used to do when there was alot to cut was to park my chainsaw and rent one that I could overwork it without worry.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Start with a question:

What do you mean by "large" fallen trees?

The ms170 is basically a pruning or limbing saw. I have one. If you're up for extra work (longer cut times) you can get away with up to some thing that's maybe 4 or 6 inches thick. it's not the proper tool for the job. If you employ some dangerous cutting methods it'll do bigger in a pinch, but I don't recommend it so I won't tell how.

Ms 180 isn't much better.

Next, look at listing for if its a narrow gauge chain. Theyre lighter for more cutting power on a smaller motor, and less oil use, but, not without tradeoffs. Probably not what you want for "large" trees. It's easier for it to jump off track when cutting if it starts to get pinched.

Other thoughts: bigger displacement and a longer bar are better for a big trunk. But tradeoff is gas use and weight.

I'd buy the chaps for safety with that much cutting.

Next up, you renting a dumpster or bring off the debris? What about poison controls after? Termite colonies are common in nature. If they've grown bigger based on the food sources, they're going to look for a replacement after you take what they have away.

Home depot used to take back anything, even after being used, within 30 days for power tools. I had a friend up north who would buy, use, and return chainsaws. Tradeoff there is limited brands - the reason I never tried it. I believe in buying good tools and not looking back.

Nov 4, 2012
Start with a question:

What do you mean by "large" fallen trees?

The ms170 is basically a pruning or limbing saw. I have one. If you're up for extra work (longer cut times) you can get away with up to some thing that's maybe 4 or 6 inches thick. it's not the proper tool for the job. If you employ some dangerous cutting methods it'll do bigger in a pinch, but I don't recommend it so I won't tell how.

Ms 180 isn't much better.

Next, look at listing for if its a narrow gauge chain. Theyre lighter for more cutting power on a smaller motor, and less oil use, but, not without tradeoffs. Probably not what you want for "large" trees. It's easier for it to jump off track when cutting if it starts to get pinched.

Other thoughts: bigger displacement and a longer bar are better for a big trunk. But tradeoff is gas use and weight.

I'd buy the chaps for safety with that much cutting.

Next up, you renting a dumpster or bring off the debris? What about poison controls after? Termite colonies are common in nature. If they've grown bigger based on the food sources, they're going to look for a replacement after you take what they have away.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. Keep in mind, I'm no Paul Bunyan, more of a Joe Schmoe.

Trees- shortest tree was probably 40' and 10" in diameter, the largest ones fell in multiple pieces but were probably 65-75', and somewhere around 18-20" diameter.

I have several pair of chaps, lots of gloves, and bug eye goggles.

First thing I did when I found the termites was call a pest control company. They came out, looked at it, inspected the healthy trees nearby, and sprayed liquid termiticide on and around the infested wood. They assured me the termites would all be dead, but I'm not taking chances of them missing some, or the possibility of the termites coming back. Thus why I'm removing the wood. I called waste management and explained the situation, and got a price on the biggest dumpster they have. Price isn't as expensive as I expected, so I'll be going the dumpster route.

I have used my CS-310 with a 16" bar to buck trees that were 12" or so in diameter without much trouble.

As far as Stihl goes, the MS-251 is about top of my price range right now. As Steve said, I can always rent a bigger saw if it's really necessary.

Nov 4, 2012
Also, when these trees first fell (over the 10 years we've lived here) I went back and limbed the trees and cleared it out for the most part. Most of what remains is the trunks but a few still have the crotch intact.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You have a small saw already, buy a larger one to compliment it. 20" bar. Farmboss would be perfect for what you're doing. You'll appreciate having two different size saws. They each will serve a specific function. BTW, I sold Husqvarna chainsaws for ten years. Answered this same question hundreds of times

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I have used both Stihl and husgavarna and prefer the husgavarna. I think it is better balanced and I was also told by a small engine shop that the stihl is harder to work on. My friend has a Stihl and borrowed my husqavhusg and he wishes he got that instead of the Stihl. Just my 2 cent's.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. Keep in mind, I'm no Paul Bunyan, more of a Joe Schmoe.

Trees- shortest tree was probably 40' and 10" in diameter, the largest ones fell in multiple pieces but were probably 65-75', and somewhere around 18-20" diameter.

I have several pair of chaps, lots of gloves, and bug eye goggles.

First thing I did when I found the termites was call a pest control company. They came out, looked at it, inspected the healthy trees nearby, and sprayed liquid termiticide on and around the infested wood. They assured me the termites would all be dead, but I'm not taking chances of them missing some, or the possibility of the termites coming back. Thus why I'm removing the wood. I called waste management and explained the situation, and got a price on the biggest dumpster they have. Price isn't as expensive as I expected, so I'll be going the dumpster route.

I have used my CS-310 with a 16" bar to buck trees that were 12" or so in diameter without much trouble.

As far as Stihl goes, the MS-251 is about top of my price range right now. As Steve said, I can always rent a bigger saw if it's really necessary.

Good info/answers.

The ms-251 is still a little light for the biggest of what you describe. It's not a good fit for a 20" bar (you want about 10 cc more motor) and with those ~20" trunks or bigger, you want that 20" bar.

I'd say a ms-271 is about right, or maybe even something a little bigger.

One thing you need to remember about legit power supply stores (unlike home depot) is they can dicker some off the msrp sometimes. Maybe there's a display saw that's never been run, comes with full warranty, but sat on the wall for a few months they knock a few bucks off of. Maybe they come down $30 for you. Usually they throw in a few hats or tshirts, some fuel oil.

When I grabbed my ms170 I talked to the guys at the ace hardware shop for a bit, having been a former husqvarna guy. I left with a $20 discount from the shelf price, 2 stihl tshirts, a hat, a 6pk of gas additive oil, and some other goodies.

I'd say you've gotten some good info here, next step is to visit one or two power supply stores. See what they can do for you. first talk about what you need to do, and let them give you the pitch about what couple saws will do the job. Once theyre invested and want to close the deal, then bring in what your budget is and see what thwy can do.

When buying the saw, best case scenario is get a little extra motor, and run a mid size bar for it that let's you cut what you've got. That way if more trees come down that grew a little bigger than what you have now, you're not already in a "maxed out" saw that won't be up to it.

Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
We cut a minium of 35 cord of hardwood every year for 3 family houses. If l was you serious about cutting l wouldn't even attempt to cut with anything less than a 38cc with a 20 inch bar.

I understand you want 2 people cutting, but you really need is one cutting an one to pull the branch's away an also watching in the air as you cut an fall.

I know we have 4 stihl saws between 3 of us, 038-042 with 20" to 24" bars an never have a problem, but we do take them to the dealer for service every year.

Your saw is more for trimming up or the odd tree. Trade yours in an up-grade, just a thought.

Nov 4, 2012
Good info/answers.

The ms-251 is still a little light for the biggest of what you describe. It's not a good fit for a 20" bar (you want about 10 cc more motor) and with those ~20" trunks or bigger, you want that 20" bar.

I'd say a ms-271 is about right, or maybe even something a little bigger.

One thing you need to remember about legit power supply stores (unlike home depot) is they can dicker some off the msrp sometimes. Maybe there's a display saw that's never been run, comes with full warranty, but sat on the wall for a few months they knock a few bucks off of. Maybe they come down $30 for you. Usually they throw in a few hats or tshirts, some fuel oil.

When I grabbed my ms170 I talked to the guys at the ace hardware shop for a bit, having been a former husqvarna guy. I left with a $20 discount from the shelf price, 2 stihl tshirts, a hat, a 6pk of gas additive oil, and some other goodies.

I'd say you've gotten some good info here, next step is to visit one or two power supply stores. See what they can do for you. first talk about what you need to do, and let them give you the pitch about what couple saws will do the job. Once theyre invested and want to close the deal, then bring in what your budget is and see what thwy can do.

When buying the saw, best case scenario is get a little extra motor, and run a mid size bar for it that let's you cut what you've got. That way if more trees come down that grew a little bigger than what you have now, you're not already in a "maxed out" saw that won't be up to it.

Thanks for the input. I've felled several trees, and I'm familiar with different cutting techniques and the safety aspect of it. But I'm still an amateur, and this isn't something I do all the time. And I've never had to cut this much wood at one time. I'm use to using my smaller saw, which I'm aware isn't technically big enough for some of the jobs I've done with it. There is a hardware store a little ways away that is a very large volume Stihl dealer, I'm gonna take a trip and see what they can do. I'd consider buying one that is lightly used, too.

We cut a minium of 35 cord of hardwood every year for 3 family houses. If l was you serious about cutting l wouldn't even attempt to cut with anything less than a 38cc with a 20 inch bar.

I understand you want 2 people cutting, but you really need is one cutting an one to pull the branch's away an also watching in the air as you cut an fall.

I know we have 4 stihl saws between 3 of us, 038-042 with 20" to 24" bars an never have a problem, but we do take them to the dealer for service every year.

Your saw is more for trimming up or the odd tree. Trade yours in an up-grade, just a thought.

I take down maybe one small or medium size tree a year and do three or four other pruning or trimming jobs a year with the echo and it works well for what it is. I dont burn any wood, and I usually give the wood away. I want two people cutting, but these tree are already fallen, and limbed, and I will have my cousin clearing away the cut wood and being the designated "In case of emergency" person. Not that I anticipate any accidents, but I'm very safety concious when it comes to cutting down trees.

I may not be a pro with a chainsaw, but I'm not one of these idiots either-

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor