Changing A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I'v got a 79 Elco that I got a March serpentine system for. It changes the compressor to the right side. I intend to replace the condenser and have been told that some Gbody Cutlasses are right side connections. I'd like to keep the hoses as short as possible. The March kit came with a Sanden 7176 compressor, do I buy the adapters for the Sanden, and what hoses?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
When I swapped my 82 El C to a S Blazer serp belt set I had a hose made at the local hose maker place and I am happy with that. I recently had to change the liquid line and found an OEM clone that work just fine. Cool guy riding again:)

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If you use a Cutlass condensor, you can use a Cutlass accumulator and liquid line. That gets you halfway there. You can get all the fittings and hose material you need from Vintage Air. Mock the new hoses up and mark them for clocking. Then take them somewhere local to have them crimped. That's what we did on my brother's LS swapped 78 Z28.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
In an Olds Cutlass, which side of the engine is the a/c compressor on.? Hoping to get factory hoses for right side. On my Elco the battery is on the right side. That won't be in the way of the hoses will it?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It has more to do with the source division's engine than the car it ended up in. Chevy engines had the compressor on the left (driver's) side. Buick and Olds engines had the compressor on the right. Condensers and lines were fitted accordingly.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The factory compressor (R4) uses a "manifold" to attach the two hoses (suction and discharge). I guess you could buy a stock hose assembly and cut the crimps off of the hoses at the manifold and then adapt them to the Sanden compressor, but I think it would be easier to buy the fittings and material you need for each hose and then mock them up with exactly the routing you want and then have it crimped together. Many if not all of the Olds hose assemblies include a muffler on the discharge line, just downstream of the compressor. Those take a little room....
1983OldsCC_Engine_02.jpg

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Boy do I remember how the engine source mattered. In the 80s I was working in a bodyshop and they gave me a mid 80s Regal that needed a whole front clip. When the salvage clip arrived, EVERYTHING under the hood was on the opposite side of the wrecked car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor