changing front coil springs question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
I need advice on changing the front coil springs on an 84 Monte SS. I just banged out the top ball joint and the lower control arm sprang open. How do you squeeze the control arms together to get the ball joints back in? Jack? or compression tool?

Attachments

• spring.JPG
    spring.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 841
Well since you've already released the spring tension, you might as well use a floor jack. just be careful and maybe run a cable or chain between the spring and control arm in case the jack slips and the spring wants to go airborne.
If you have access to a spring compressor, you might as well use that,,it's probably safer.

KILLSHOTB said:
I need advice on changing the front coil springs on an 84 Monte SS. I just banged out the top ball joint and the lower control arm sprang open. How do you squeeze the control arms together to get the ball joints back in? Jack? or compression tool?
Ah....welcome to chassis hell...lol. If the motor is in the car, you should be able to jack up from the bottom of the lower control arm and get the top ball joint in. If the motor isnt in, the only advice I have is to make a spring compressor using a 5/8" threaded rod and about 4 big washers and nuts. keeping the weight of the vehicle on the jack, use a air wrench to turn the nuts and compress the spring. I ran the rod through the shock holes...it wasnt fun. But it worked.

I've used a floor jack to support the ball joint and used a pipe (that is larger diameter than the ball joint) to hammer the control arm down onto the ball joint. It's way easier to use one of these. Once you do - you won't go back to the hammer/jack method.
http://www.harborfreight.com/four-wheel ... -4065.html

**EDIT**
I just went back and reread your post. I thought you were trying to replace the ball joint. To compress the spring just use the floor jack like everyone else said. Sorry if my reply was confusing. I need to learn to read 😀 .

" I just banged out the top ball joint and the lower control arm sprang open. :shock: " Man, people lose there faces doing that. Next time use a spring compressor or floor jack to take the pressure off the control arm. Also do as Jack suggested and use a safety chain in case the spring goes apeshit on you.

Bonnewagon said:
" I just banged out the top ball joint and the lower control arm sprang open. :shock: " Man, people lose there faces doing that. Next time use a spring compressor or floor jack to take the pressure off the control arm. Also do as Jack suggested and use a safety chain in case the spring goes apeshit on you.

how do you think he got his name?.... :shock:

Wow never heard anybody ever take a spring out by letting lose the top ball joint I always just loosen the bottom ball joint and have the jack bring it down slowly but to help tw get a spring compressor compress it then use a jack to pump up the ARM to line up everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor