Charging problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Checked at the alternator voltage while using battery ground and it was 12.10volts and dropping while revving up voltage at battery was the same no accessories on and the alternator is charging cuz the magnet is energized and can smell belt slip when revving and the belt is tight

You say it is charging but the volt meter stated otherwise unless you have a bad voltmeter. Put the ground on the alternator and the positive on the big red wire at the back of the alternator and then put the positive on the battery post and the ground on the negative post and let us know

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Is the oil/choke or battery light coming on in the dash with the key on? If it doesn't, your alternator won't charge, the bulb in the dash finishes the circuit. How are your belts routed? Did you remove the A/C when you replaced the 307 with an Olds 350? I would say you have cooling issues as well, can't see an alternator causing overheating issues unless you run electric fans.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Original alternator was load tested and nothing wrong with it and original wiring

if then original alternator tested good then you can change the alternator as many times you want but that will not cure the problem. Sounds like the alternator is not being excited. I would start checking the charging system wiring and begin with the wire that excites the alternator

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
I removed the ac belt and turns out the power steering belt was slipping on the waterpump pulley without the ac belt on there so the alternator belt would slip and not spin fast enough to charge

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I removed the ac belt and turns out the power steering belt was slipping on the waterpump pulley without the ac belt on there so the alternator belt would slip and not spin fast enough to charge
Exactly why I asked, so many people do this to the 307 Vin Y, one belt on the crank isn't enough. The Vin 9 has a triple groove crank pulley, allows the A/C to be removed. A factory non A/C passenger side alternator bracket also work. Usually it charges but squeals like mad and will eventually burn the alternator belt right off, happened to me. That would explain the lack of cooling as well. Put the A/C compressor back in place or you will have squealing issues.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor