Check Out These Tubular Control Arms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Though you guys might want to see these bad *ss Tubular control arms. They will fit all G-body's(though they don't advertise it on the web site selling them), trust me they will fit. Direct Bolt in, tough as hell. 1/4" thick tubing!!! yes, I said QUARTER INCH thick tubing! I have actually seen a set in real life, they are sweet. Capable of laying frame rail on 22's, when in combination with 2" drop spindles. And the guy I know who's running them on his S-10 has 13" Baer Brakes without any clearance issues. Just look at these beefy cross shafts!

ThorbeckeBrothersS10UpperandLowerCo.jpg

S10andBlazerUpperControlArmCrossSha.jpg

Here's a link to where to get some:
http://www.suicidedoors.com/control-arm ... lower-co-4

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
those are a bunch of great guys to deal with as well and very respected in the minitruck realm 8) I have bought quite a bit of things for them over the years when I was in to the mini truck scene

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm just curious cause I have yet to figure out the purpose of tubular control arms. I don't see the difference between stock control arms and tubes since they both provide the same thing and I've never heard of a stock control arm twisting or anything. Course the tubular control arms are stronger, I'm just curious.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
My understanding is that they are no stronger than stock. The reason tubing is used is because it's cheaper than press forming the pieces from steel due to the low volumes being manufatured. All the tubular arms are really doing is changing the spring pockets and thereby the wheel centre location to raise or drop you ride height. That and they look pretty because they are different.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
they make for better suspension geometry and they are a hell of allot stronger than oe arms the ones posted here are for adding air ride to s-10's and in that application you can bend stock arms pretty easy and the trucks dont want to "lay out" on stock arms very well

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
patmckinneyracing said:
I'm just curious cause I have yet to figure out the purpose of tubular control arms. I don't see the difference between stock control arms and tubes since they both provide the same thing and I've never heard of a stock control arm twisting or anything. Course the tubular control arms are stronger, I'm just curious.

I've been running tubular uppers for a few years. The ones I'm running have a solid bushing so there's no flex and it's significantly lighter and less sprung weight. The lowers which I might get this winter are also lighter and the hump on the rear side lower control arm which infringes on the travel of the suspension isn't there with the tubulars. The ones advertised here are nice looking and if I was going to build a show car I might consider them but with their high price I'll stick to the tubulars I buy from the local circle track store. I would basically have to run upper tubulars since I'm changing my spindle to tall spindles so I'll have to get shorter uppers to deal with the camber issue and I can get mine made to measure

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I haven't had any trouble with my stockers. I might get some later down the line but i'm not hardpressed to get some unless I get a real good deal on a pair.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the uppers I use are made by UB Machine and I get them at the local circle track store for around $75 each....

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Yea, I know most of you guys aren't into the whole "getting low" scene, but I thought some of you may want to see them anyway. I see some of those double adjustable upper control arms are gaining popularity, I think you get what you pay for. I know a guy here in town, Brad from Advanced Auto Parts, he has a set of those adjustable uppers for his car, and man they are cheap, and I mean cheaply built as well. Most of those are intended for dirt track cars, which are also being sold for intended off road use on "lightened" cars, not really intended for slamming pot holes with a full weight vehicle. Some of the adjustable uppers I've seen I would not trust with my life.
Yes it's the 1/4" wall thickness tubing of the Thorbeck's that gains my confidence.

There is also another company selling similar ones(that they buy from Thornbeck) and come modified with spherical bearings in the bottom instead of ball joints, expensive, but cool.

Really, according to an article I recently read in Mini Truckin', the lower holds all the cars weight, and the upper doesn't take nearly the amount of strain the lowers do, but still...if one of those uppers ever breaks on the road, god help you, a broken driver could pull you right into oncoming traffic. Personally, I would rather be on a factory one piece upper, than a screwed together POS from Taiwan(there again, you do get what you pay for, I'm sure some of the adjustables are decent).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor