Check Out These Tubular Control Arms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
i changed the steering box for a Z28 one ...dint notice any difference after all mods ...maybe the quicker ratio mde it for the lever arm difference ...by dropping the car a bit ,the tie rods are parrallel to the ground as the upper A arms ..
therefore no bump steer .

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've already lowered the car and I have a 2 1/2 lock to lock box so I don't think it would be a noticeable change pluys we have bump steer gauges at the race shop. When you put the Z28 box in did you change the stops and do you know what length your upper control arms are?...I'm thinking they'd be around 7.5 - 7.75" Thanks for the info

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Thorebeck Bros. make some great stuff. I bought a carrier bearing crossmember from them for my S10 to get rid of the hideous factory one and the welds are gorgeous. I had bought a set of bolt in c-notches for my S10 when I was about to drop it 5/6 but moved away from the minitruck phase and into the G-body scene.

The flat control arms made by BLF (Barely Legal Fab) are no longer made, BLF I beleive no longer exists because some deal with the owner not sending products out to a bunch of people. But they did make a bunch of good products.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
you are right ,they have exacly 7.5" from center of crosshaft to center of balljoint zerk....

they are flat , no drop for the ball joint ....(one reason thay cost so little)
I remember at the time ,when i phoned Tony .... i had to take a chance on my measures ..but went right on !

reason why they fit : the car is dropped + longer b body splindle.....I woulndt put these on a regular height ,regular splindle car ,because the ball joint would be at a weird angle ...( needs drop for balljoint )

for the moment ,dint modify the bump stops ..... next move !

2.5 turns on the steering wheel ? what steering box did you get ?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I got the box out of a monte SS...but here is a list

1983-'88 Chevelles and El Caminos
1984-'88 Monte Carlos
1983-'84 Hurst/Olds
1985-'87 Olds 442s
1984-'87 Buick Grand Nationals or T-Types

identified by a "YA," "WS," or "HX" marking on the end cap opposite where the steering column attaches. These units will reduce steering wheel revolutions from lock to lock down to 2¼ to 2¾ turns."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor