Check Out These Tubular Control Arms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
well those uppers I use are in about every super stock circle track car at the tracks around here and they put up with the pounding pretty good or they wouldn't be using them....as far as the price the little amount of tubing used, the small plate steel for the ball joint, the shaft with the bushings and some welding I think the material is probably worth between $10-$15 and then the machining and welding on top of that at $75 they are still making a nice profit given these control arms are used all over Canada, US and Mexico.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Like I say though, some are decent, and some are crap.

One set in particular that comes to mind is a set I saw at the Iola Old Car Show Swap meet, they were tubular uppers with needle bearings instead of bushings(a good idea, so far), but they lacked a grease zerk for lubrication? And had cross shafts that aren't even as thick as the stock ones.
Or anything with slotted upper ball joint mounts, like those ball joints will ever stay in place. It's supposed to be for camber adjustment, but is an alignment failure waiting to happen(couldn't find example pics, sorry).

If you think the Thorbecks are expensive, check out this guys. He does have some neat stuff:
I've never seen spindles like these before,
http://www.trzmotorsports.com/319.html

Here are some other creations:
Just look at the difference in tubing diameter(the lowers in particular), as compare to the Thorbeck's
tubular.jpg

Check out these flat ones:
s10flateplatecontrolarms.jpg

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
sweet which ones would we need for our cars I dont understand the offset

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the parts for stock measurements would UBM14-0809-5R and UBM14-0809-5L. The offset is the distance the ball joint sits behind the center line and 1 1/4 is stock. You'd want more offset if you changed your pick up points on the chassis. You can pick these up at any local circle track shop or at a speed shop. Just make sure you grease them regularly

gbodyparts sell the same control arms but they want $135.00

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info. ... 9891caaafc

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
thanks for the info I may pick a set up after x-mas

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'll confirm the ones I listed are have the stock dimensions. I'm sure they are correct but I we use them on all the race cars in different divisions so I might have those number mixed up with another car...your going to enjoy them, they tighten up the front end nicely. One thing you might want to change on them is the straight grease zert to a 90 degree fitting.. point it straight up on the passenger side and on the driver's side point it out to the side of the car. The stock straight fitting makes it difficult to grease the fitting. The passenger side is assessable from the top while the driver side has the steering rod and brake lines in the way so it's easier to access it though the wheel well. The front zerts can be left alone but I found it easier with the 90 degree pointed straight up. The only draw back with these tubulars with the solid bushing is they need to be greased on a regular frequent intervals. I grease them every 3 weeks and I drive my car around 3500 miles a month.

You can get the control arms custom made by UB as well. I'm going to install taller spindles so I'll need shorter control arms. I can get shorter ones for the right side but not for the left since they target circle track cars which need longer left side for the excessive positive camber settings we need. They just need the dimensions they build them for you. I could use the shorter right side and just flip it for the left but I'll get it made.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
I have some of these ,custom made for my G body : b body spindles + rotors ..camber & caster is great .and the A arm is parallel to teh ground :perfect stance .

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
bigdan...the B body spindles have a longer steering arm than on a G body which slows the steering down but I can't find what the difference in length is or if the difference in the quickness of the steering is appreciable so if you could give me some input on that I'd appreciate it.....and did you adjust your bumpsteer or did you leave it as is?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor