Choice of 403 or 455 in my Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankthecrank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2011
I can't decide. I can find plenty of complete engines to buy, in various states of repair, 403's and 455's, I actually have a 403 long block, but I can't make up my mind on what engine to put in my car. Help!! I did some figuring, and since I'm staying real close to stock engine specs, any difference in $ is negligible right now. So with that said, I say we take a vote. Your thoughts and comments are all appreciated.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
Go big or go home! As you said both engines cost about the same to rebuild or build up depending on what you want to do with the car.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
I recommend the 455. My Cutlass has a 455 and I call it my SEG maker (sh*t eating grin). My engine is pretty much stock, and with a full weight car I'm running low 14's with junk tires. If I threw some money into my engine, it would be insane. The 403 is nice, but most people that have a 403 usually end up looking for a 455. I think they are weak blocks or something like that.

The best part is with my 455, most people don't even realize my car is not stock. They think it still has a 307 and keep walking by. I like having a sleeper

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well,
I agree with 'go big or go home' or 'there is no displacement for cubic inches'

But,

There are readily available headers to fit the 403...that's all I got...

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit
455. I was thinking about a rocket 350 for mine but the more I think about it the more appealing a 455 looks. Besides torque is our friend :D

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Kooks made Olds 455 headers for a while if I am not mistaken. Didn't somebody take that over? I mauled this over 403 vs 455 back when I bought my Cutlass. All in all I decided 455 but when I set out to look for one I found a Cadillac 500 for free and went that route. I liked all the 455s especially the Buick but thought I would do an Olds in an Olds, then when I found the 500 and compared it to the Olds 455s strengths well to do it over I would do the Caddy again even if I buy them both at the same cost. At any rate built right any of the three will be great. Here is a good link for you www.robertpowersmotorsports.com Bob build a 455 cutlass as a driver. Overdrive lockup Q-jet reasonable cam & compression and got over 15 mpg hwy while running 12.3s at 110 mph still dialing it in when it was stolen.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
I have the hooker 3203 (I think that's the part number) on my 455 in my 84 cutlass, the only downfall is that the back tubes wrap around the frame and with 7 or 8 inch wide tires on the front they will rub the header. I believe that Dick Miller is offering a header that fits in the frame for a 455 in a g body but I'm not sure on the price. You could also go with a stock set of manifolds for the 455 wich you can buy for around $350 new. What route are you going to take with this, street, strip, both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor