Clutch, cone and gov-loc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What year car do you have and how molested is it? My 88 had the big option sticker under the trunk lid. I could tell by the codes it was a 2.56 open rear. The only option for 88 was a 3.08, in open or posi.

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
What year car do you have and how molested is it? My 88 had the big option sticker under the trunk lid. I could tell by the codes it was a 2.56 open rear. The only option for 88 was a 3.08, in open or posi.
Hey olds307. I'm looking to build my 7.5 rear diff. Just have a lot of need parts if I have to go new I will but was looking in my local yard they told me to look at a s10 but it was the cone style but I had to open it to find that out. I know the g80 is LSD but what tells me the style is that I m look for with out opening every differential

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Nothing can be told about an S10, Bravada or S10 Blazer diff without removing the cover. An RPO code of G80 in the glove box will identify it's a posi and chances 99 out of 100 that it will be the undesirable Gov Lock. It needs to be an older S10, pre '92 I believe, to be able to use your 26 spline axles. If you want to keep your current gears, then you need to know if they are 3.08 or numberically lower to get a 2 series carrier. Most everyone want 3 series carriers which are 3.23 and numerically higher.

If this has confused you some, then you have now identified why it's easier to know what you currently have and what you want - EXACTLY, and then start hunting. The best 7.5 deal is a factory Torsen found in late 90's Camaro's and Trans Am, but they will reqauire 28 spline axles.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
Nothing can be told about an S10, Bravada or S10 Blazer diff without removing the cover. An RPO code of G80 in the glove box will identify it's a posi and chances 99 out of 100 that it will be the undesirable Gov Lock. It needs to be an older S10, pre '92 I believe, to be able to use your 26 spline axles. If you want to keep your current gears, then you need to know if they are 3.08 or numberically lower to get a 2 series carrier. Most everyone want 3 series carriers which are 3.23 and numerically higher.

If this has confused you some, then you have now identified why it's easier to know what you currently have and what you want - EXACTLY, and then start hunting. The best 7.5 deal is a factory Torsen found in late 90's Camaro's and Trans Am, but they will reqauire 28 spline axles.

Good luck
Thanks nailhead I m just build a simple 7 5/8 posi set up just didn't want to drop a grand for a 400hp car. I know the Camaro have 28 spline after the 90's but some of the local yard don't want u open all their differential to see what style is in it. I was hop there was a gu code to tell but I guess not. Thank again

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor