COOLING-Radiators, fans, pulleys, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
"No four row scams!"

you must get a reversion of the reversion with a four row undoes the reversion caused by the third row. 😜

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Yeah I am lazy. Main thing is you can't judge aluminum radiators by brass radiator metrics. The construction between the two is very different like ECP says. The HD radiator in my CVPI is just a single row and its built to chase down faster cars through endurance rather than speed as most normal cars will overheat and fail in a chase, even some sport models.

210 degrees is normal engine temp and increases engine life. You need to get to 180 just to start boiling moisture out of the engine. This reduces sludge buildup in the crankcase.

This!

I don't know why people want engines to run so cool. OE-spec for almost everything built in the last 50 years is in the 192-195 range for thermostats

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
This!

I don't know why people want engines to run so cool. OE-spec for almost everything built in the last 50 years is in the 192-195 range for thermostats

True. But ironically 50 years ago was the last time a carbureted car had any balls. Emissions took precedent starting in 1971.

Run a hotter coolant temperature for a ‘greener’ less powerful car. No dyno operator runs a higher temperature. No drag racer ever put a heating blanket on the manifold between rounds. Heat does not make horsepower.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Ditch the flex fan they just make noise.
BOP's like at least a 5 blade clutch fan.
Somehow Chebby"s seem to do well with them though.
Actually the 4 blade direct drive GM fan cools better than the 5 blade clutch fan. The 4 row aluminum rads do cool, cooled a 10 to 1 403, just they are huge and no doubt need good fans to pull air through the cores.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
This thread was started to report on cooling a 520" carbureted V8 in a car not designed for such an engine. Not a 20 year old fuel injected and computerized to deal with every situation vehicle with less than 250hp. I hope somebody who is struggling with temperature in their G-body will get some useful information from this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, your car is the extreme, my 88 has also been difficult to cool. The GN rad surround flaps and wider A body single core aluminum/plastic with a 180 thermostat and Stratus fans cool this 8 to 1 350 easily. Actually the single core 3rd gen aluminum rad out cooled the 3 core Champion rad, both with high flow 160 thermostats on my 403.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor