MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Sure can. Story to follow below.

Unfortunately it is nothing that complex or deep. Also, what have you been smoking? And can I have some?

-------

Short story long. Put on your helmets, boys.

I was 16 years old and pushing a broom at my Dad's shop. It was near the end of the work day and I got the go ahead to bring my 1975 Camaro LT into a bay to look at it. The car was my Uncle's (he bought it new) and gifted it to me - it was in a pretty sad state. But, it was my first car and I was excited.

Anyway, a customer came in, the bay was required, and my Dad gave me the unceremonious heave ho. So I put my puny and unnaturally short (I got better), unlicensed and inexperienced butt behind the wheel and pulled the car around behind the shop. Nervous as all heck, armed with only a basic understanding of driving from go karting, I vainly attempted to park the car in its spot next to my Dad's '56 Ford pickup.

The sense of impending doom right before I put the PS fender of the Camaro into the DS door of the Ford is something I will never forget. It was one of those ultra slow motion moments.

SMASH!

Dread set in pretty quickly after I turned the car off and assessed the damage. The fender of the Camaro was pushed in pretty good and the Ford, which I was really worried about, had a nice streak of reddish-pink paint up it's white door. Otherwise no issues.

After contemplating running 10 miles home. I changed my mind when remembered I hated running, and that I preferred getting a ride. So, I slinked back into the shop and told my Dad what happened. I cannot remember if he laughed or not but I don't recall him making a big deal out of it.

My Dad's apprentices (recent grads from my highschool, and my soon to be hot rodding buddies) on the other hand did not waste a chance not bust the boss' son's balls. They laid into me HARD. My buddy Martin, inbetween fits of laughter, cries out: FORD SMASHER!

And with that I got the nickname: Ford Smasher. Rather than let it get to me, I owned it, and when the Monte got on the road one of the first mods was the personalized plates: 4D SMSHR.

If you sound out 4 and D phonetically you get Four-D. It has been misinterpreted as four door smasher and a few other things over the years. I guess people getting it wrong allows me another opportunity to tell the story.

It was ironic that my Monte schooled most every 5.0 Mustang I raced at Cayuga, and people took the plates as a slight. But, it was only ever meant to be a jab at it myself.
Nice to meet you, FS!

Reactions: 4 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
"Unfortunately it is nothing that complex or deep. Also, what have you been smoking? And can I have some?"

I don't smoke or really even drink so fill your boots with what you find. Although I have read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy a couple times. LOL

Great back story :)

Reactions: 5 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Thanks! The tires are stock Goodyear F1s and run wide and are very square compared to most contemporary tires. Specs are as follows:

C6 Z06
Front 18”x 9.5” (+) 40mm 6.35” 275/35ZR-18
Rear 19”x 12” (+) 59mm 8.3” 325/30ZR-19

Cool source: https://image.mamotorworksmedia.com...iles/TechTipFiles/C6_Tire_Reference_Guide.pdf
Thanks for that follow-up. That's a bunch of tire squeezed in there @ BOTH ends. It helps keep things proportional. Curious if that's your end game sizing goal or ??

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Thanks for that follow-up. That's a bunch of tire squeezed in there @ BOTH ends. It helps keep things proportional. Curious if that's your end game sizing goal or ??

This is the combo I want to run in the rear:

This was supposed to be a more "Pro Street" oriented build, but now I am considering making it a Swiss Army knife. I just had these Z06 wheels on hand and decided to try them out.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
This is the combo I want to run in the rear:

This was supposed to be a more "Pro Street" oriented build, but now I am considering making it a Swiss Army knife. I just had these Z06 wheels on hand and decided to try them out.
Ahhh...... I remember that post now. I went back a few pages to see if the info was there. Apparently just didn't go back far enough.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ahhh...... I remember that post now. I went back a few pages to see if the info was there. Apparently just didn't go back far enough.

After 5 years and 154 pages... it is easy to not find things in here. I do keyword searches in this thread all the time.

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Built a pair of raised spring perches and some (6) 1/4" plastic shims for added adjustment. Got the differential down off the snubber so that was a plus. It is going to need some more tweaking... but, we are moving in the right direction.

View attachment 172057

Oh, and this happened... tuckin' 325s.

View attachment 172052

The front is sitting on the bump stops, so it is weight jacking it to the rear. Going to need those drop spindles and tall BJs soonest.

View attachment 172053

Hello Kitty...

View attachment 172054

Fat bottom girls.

View attachment 172055

Yes, I am flexing on you.

flexing ufc 205 GIF

;)
BAD *ss for sure

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You know your behaviour is predictable when you do certain things and others know, exactly what you are up to. Case in point: Today I was walking out the back door to the garage with a laptop and my HPTuners cable, and Natasha says: Tuning your car?

The signs must be really obvious.

I tickled the keys and raised the target idle RPM to 750, up from 550. It seems someone thought that by making it so the car barely runs it would sound choppier... it just sounded like it struggled to breathe and wanted to stall out. Stock idle speed in a C5 Z06 is 800rpm. Then I pulled a lot of fuel from the OL fuel table so it stops warming up at 11:1 AFR, bringing it close to 13.5:1 (for those that live on the gas scale) to avoid fouling the plugs.

Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Taking advantage of this newly acquired elevation I added a couple of axle straps to keep the driveshaft off the exhaust and the springs from falling out. I think you can see were I was going with all of these extra bars.

PXL_20210416_211620091.jpg

(Man, I really, really, really hate that red sway bar...)

I also fixed a couple of hot side v-band clamps that weren't "right". It was incredibly weird doing this work standing up.

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor