MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
weldin's out,you'll distort the life out of it and it'll look super bad.in a bad way.fiberglass and steel?don't get me started..seam sealer/panel bond if you also like to live dangerously..prep's key fyi with the panel bond/seam sealer.
live dangerously austin powers GIF

I am not spending $200-300 on a panel bond set up for a one time use. Nope. No way. I'll use PL Glue before I go that route.

Seam sealer is a definite possibility. Looks like 400 grit over primer and 80 grit for DTM.

Maybe I'll just fill the quarter panels with expanding foam?

cannon shooting GIF

You could make little L-shaped clips with small holes on each side. Then plug weld them carefully to the qtr. 3 or 4 should hold it in there. Then seam seal over it all.

That is one idea I was tossing around. 1/8" holes would work the quarter side.

I've seen everything suggested from L-brackets tacked to the quarter and pop riveted to an aluminum tub, to leaving a 1/8" gap and goop the gap with panel bond/windshield weld/silicone/seam sealer or strip caulk, bonded L-brackets, and so on. A single sheet of woven fiberglass mat would leave a lot of flexibility for expansion and contraction.

I don't think it matters other than not stitch welding the tub to the quarter due to warpage... which I had never planned because that's a lot of welding. LOL.

So you aren't putting an inner fender down vertical from the liner you built to the quarter? If you were plug welding at the flange I don't think it would not warp but yeah you can't weld to the middle of a panel and expect it to not warp.

So you aren't putting an inner fender down vertical from the liner you built to the quarter? If you were plug welding at the flange I don't think it would not warp but yeah you can't weld to the middle of a panel and expect it to not warp.

Really never made it that far. This is kind of uncharted territory. Which is why I put it to the floor for suggestions.

Reactions: Tony1968
I'd regretfully remove the part you made and then buy a generic trailer fender like this and cut the top so it matches whatever is left of your factory inner fender and match the flat part of this trailer fender to the inner quarter lip.

But my method might have been better for you to totally cut everything out and start from scratch instead of your fit what's already there plan.

Reactions: Tony1968
I'd regretfully remove the part you made and then buy a generic trailer fender like this and cut the top so it matches whatever is left of your factory inner fender and match the flat part of this trailer fender to the inner quarter lip.

But my method might have been better for you to totally cut everything out and start from scratch instead of your fit what's already there plan.

I gotz some leftovers from the wagon.

PXL_20210321_190536406.jpg

Never throw anything away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor