MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
By order of my wife I was told to take the day off and go do something that wasn't being a mock-historian for school. Pretty sure she just wanted me out of the house. Who am I to argue?

Inner mini-tubs: complete.

Time to make new holes, because reasons. Let's find some more room for more rubber.

First step: Plot out your cuts. Remember the wheel lip is double walled and the body saw didn't like it. So out came the pneumatic 3" death wheel...

View attachment 170821

Hey kids... are your parents home? Sneak peak at what is about to be revealed to us:

View attachment 170822

I named this guy: Foamy the rust covered tape worm.

View attachment 170823

He used to live in here:

View attachment 170824

And helped do this:

View attachment 170832

But, hey... this is a positive.

View attachment 170825

Sunk in wheels and tires look like *ss. We don't roll like that in this house.

View attachment 170826

That answers why I did all of this work. Remember this tire is a 255.

View attachment 170827

Lots of room for activities. Note this is the non-haggered side.

View attachment 170828

This picture demonstrates how f*cking stupidly shaped the factory wheel wells are. Squaring everything was paramount. The area that I cut out is basically anything that has a significant taper to it that would rub the tire.

View attachment 170830

There is almost as much room to be gained here by cutting out this part of the tub as notching the frame if you want to tuck a tire. If you like Sky Jacker shocks and shitty offset wheels you can skip this step and just let your mullet fly, Joe Dirte.

View attachment 170831
0c57c239e1e66c0e7e6ffad1435d918f--joe-dirt-quotes-joe-dirt-fireworks.jpg

Reactions: motorheadmike
Thanks for pointing out how shjtty the rest of our cars are.

Hey, I've given everyone a guide, with pictures, on how to do things more betterer.

Got questions, ask.

Seriously though, I am certain someone with a lot more time and skill could do this far better than I have.

I am just a gorilla with a welder and a grinder.

To be honest, I had a hard time visualizing what you were working towards until you recently put the inner wheelhouses back in it. I was having trouble seeing it, probably because I'm mostly looking on my phone. Now that you're this far along I get it and the results are pretty impressive. How wide a tire are you planning to run? At one point I thought to my self, "wouldn't it be easier to just back half the car?" and the answer to that is probably yes but the car seems way more stock this way. I'm looking forward to seeing the final meats in there.

To be honest, I had a hard time visualizing what you were working towards until you recently put the inner wheelhouses back in it. I was having trouble seeing it, probably because I'm mostly looking on my phone. Now that you're this far along I get it and the results are pretty impressive. How wide a tire are you planning to run? At one point I thought to my self, "wouldn't it be easier to just back half the car?" and the answer to that is probably yes but the car seems way more stock this way. I'm looking forward to seeing the final meats in there.

Yes, a back-half would have been far less work. But, waaaay more expensive. Rails, tin, suspension, rear end, etc, etc, etc... all would have been on the menu.

The rationale, beyond money, is that I wanted it to look stockish. Kind of like what ASC did to the GNXs. Which are about as precisely built, BTW. Hence the COPO idea.

Right now it's kind of a halfway point between stock and a Guldstrand MCSS:

Tires will be something between 315 and a 390, up to 30" in diameter, tucked inside the fenders. The option to run anything in that range gives me a lot versatility.

Eventually I will get the car more "road race" oriented with proper suspension parts and modifications. But, that is a long term goal.

For now just having good power and cruising is plenty fun.

Could have saved a lot of time, $$, and effort if you had just cut a section underneath the trunk area, hacked the frame and welded this piece in just like it sits between the quarter skins. Do a bit of trimming for suspension pieces/parts, boom. You're done. Can even run 40" wide tires or one huge one like a Flintstone tire!!!! 🤪
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor