MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm easily confused obviously about some of these new fangled electronics - I'm still using a Texas Instruments calculator and play Frogger in my spare time, so take it easy on me and my memory.

What you're describing is runaway boost, or it's responding too slow to the command for boost cut. I would hate to see you not be in good standing with some of 'newish' neighbors and possible constituents, but you need some high gear street hits where you can let it eat for 4-6 seconds to see where it settles out. Perhaps a lighter WG spring to start with.

Kidding aside, I don't know what the deal is with the lean spikes with a factory ECM when running through 1st-3rd - I trust you that it's an issue. But the WOT in 1:1 rpm to tailshaft ratio should give you time to see what's cookin'. And you mentioned you were at 6 degrees at 18psi - that's too conservative (heat generating) IMO, but gas is so unforgiving and has such a smaller tuning window than most everything else, even with the meth, that it puts you in a small window from not enough to too much timing. I know C16 is expensive, but it will help you dial this in without concern of breaking sheetz - 5 gallons on top of 5 gallons of gas is what it would take to make your tuning window about 10-15 degrees rather 5-7. The boost and IAT's will be very close to the same with some mixed in.

Anyway...good luck - Jim

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I for one, can't wait to see how this pans out.

Continue with the suicide machine build Mike. F'N send it!!!
pulp fiction zed GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm easily confused obviously about some of these new fangled electronics - I'm still using a Texas Instruments calculator and play Frogger in my spare time, so take it easy on me and my memory.

What you're describing is runaway boost, or it's responding too slow to the command for boost cut. I would hate to see you not be in good standing with some of 'newish' neighbors and possible constituents, but you need some high gear street hits where you can let it eat for 4-6 seconds to see where it settles out. Perhaps a lighter WG spring to start with.

Kidding aside, I don't know what the deal is with the lean spikes with a factory ECM when running through 1st-3rd - I trust you that it's an issue. But the WOT in 1:1 rpm to tailshaft ratio should give you time to see what's cookin'. And you mentioned you were at 6 degrees at 18psi - that's too conservative (heat generating) IMO, but gas is so unforgiving and has such a smaller tuning window than most everything else, even with the meth, that it puts you in a small window from not enough to too much timing. I know C16 is expensive, but it will help you dial this in without concern of breaking sheetz - 5 gallons on top of 5 gallons of gas is what it would take to make your tuning window about 10-15 degrees rather 5-7. The boost and IAT's will be very close to the same with some mixed in.

Anyway...good luck - Jim

But... but... but... I had the small spring in there. And then I went small spring plus big spring. Then boom. Probably just go with the medium spring this next time out.

It definitely didn't have any spooling issues. Or more specifically it had a desirable amount of lag - but the spike, which wasn't creep, was definitely not appreciated.

The timing should have been closer to 10* at the time of the failure except it had a few degrees removed for knock and a few more for IAT. It was just trying to protect itself relative to the information I programmed it with. Why it knocked (possibly, and likely false knock) I am not certain. And did I need it to pull 2.5* of timing at 151*F IAT? Not totally convinced.

I am with you that running a high-quality base fuel would be an appropriate approach. It would also allow me create a properly modelled VE table relative to the characteristics of the engine combination. If I could get it on a steady diet of E60 I would go that route.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm extremely curious about the knock. I would like to run knock sensors as all of my junk is capable. My son's motor with link bar lifters and alot of lift I tried - no go. It showed knock at anything over 5000 or 5500 rpm's. But that thing sounds like a sewing machine. But my with my mild cam (SS2) in a 5.3, I'd like to try it if I had the time to make another 20 passes just to check it out.

Did you only show knock before it went boom?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
We keep losing the most active and helpful guys, and I'm not really convinced the reason for leaving was only his political aspirations. It's a shame, he was always really helpful and said things like this.
Screenshot_20230210_142652_Chrome.jpg

Very inspirational stuff.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor