MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 6.0 has unknown ring gap.

Pandora's box!! You don't know until you blow up!

I know right? Here's a blow up of the... err... blow up.

1659553123895.png

It peaked at 18.5psi at 4910rpm and 0.738 EQ - that might be asking a lot of any engine. IAT was 151*F, it was coming off a minor bit of KR, and had less than 6* of timing,

You can also forget about gapping and get total seal rings. Since you're gonna pull the pistons out anyway. Just more $

Reactions: Rktpwrd
What are you using for a boost controller, and what's the strategy? And no overboost cut on whatever you're using? I thought you were using an Innovate, but dang, I can't remember.

And it appears it was really lean before the 3rd gear shift point. But at least the boost was low.

Regarding the ring gap, it's a crap shoot on what yu'll find imo. My 4.8 was right around .030 on the top ring when I pulled them out. My 5.3 was less than .022 and I filed them all. I just pulled 2 6.0's apart and one (Gen 3) was over .025 ad the Gen 4 (low mileage) was .015. Not knowing the history of 3 of the 4 motors, I have no idea why they are all over the place. I'll wager that your rings won't need any adjustment - but that's a guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony1968
What are you using for a boost controller, and what's the strategy? And no overboost cut on whatever you're using? I thought you were using an Innovate, but dang, I can't remember.

And it appears it was really lean before the 3rd gear shift point. But at least the boost was low.

You are really bad at the internet. You asked this exact question a few pages back. Innovate SCG-1, it does have boost cut. It just doesn't have boost by gear or RPM or some other strategy.

The factory ECM has a horrific time managing transitional fueling between vacuum, power enrichment and boost enrichment. Those lean pockets are almost insurmountable. This is a well known issue.

You cannot see the TPS in those Logworks logs. There is a missing correlation there.

Reactions: Tony1968
You are really bad at the internet. You asked this exact question a few pages back. Innovate SCG-1, it does have boost cut. It just doesn't have boost by gear or RPM or some other strategy.

The factory ECM has a horrific time managing transitional fueling between vacuum, power enrichment and boost enrichment. Those lean pockets are almost insurmountable. This is a well known issue.

You cannot see the TPS in those Logworks logs. There is a missing correlation there.

I think it was me who asked about the bewst controller.

FYI - if you were my neighbor I'm sure you could identify even more of my personal and personality flaws. So I fail internet class. And I worry................................shoot me.

It appears from the outside looking in that your boost controller is not working as designed. I doubt your turbo, wastegate or wastegate location are the issue from looking back through a 100 pages or so to find pics.

Now that I've skimmed the manual on DC and Boost cut and watched a video (I put in the 20 minutes of work haha), I assume you weren't aiming for 18 psi. What were the DC and boost cut set to when it went to 18 psi? It took 1.5 seconds to go from a comfortable range to 18. According to a fellow on the video you can log duty cycle, but you didn't include that on your screenshot above.

Reactions: Texas82GP
FYI - if you were my neighbor I'm sure you could identify even more of my personal and personality flaws. So I fail internet class. And I worry................................shoot me.

It appears from the outside looking in that your boost controller is not working as designed. I doubt your turbo, wastegate or wastegate location are the issue from looking back through a 100 pages or so to find pics.

Now that I've skimmed the manual on DC and Boost cut and watched a video (I put in the 20 minutes of work haha), I assume you weren't aiming for 18 psi. What were the DC and boost cut set to when it went to 18 psi? It took 1.5 seconds to go from a comfortable range to 18. According to a fellow on the video you can log duty cycle, but you didn't include that on your screenshot above.

There was no DC, I had it turned off to test to see where it was on spring pressure. The gain was also turned off to prevent a boost spike. I mentioned that a few pages back as well.

Oh Come On GIF

The over-boost was set to 15psi. It did get up to 18 real fast before it settled in. It is pretty confusing overall.

Reactions: 64nailhead
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor