MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
On today's episode of What Not To Do With Mike or You Could Do That, But Mr. Riddler Wouldn't Recommend It we find our lovable moron using old file folders and bedding to protect his car while doing bodywork. I guess I technically retinted the windows... but, it is a little darker than desired. Regardless an errant tool or weld spatter might not totally ruin all that glass I just cleaned up... or not.

IMG_20200126_204540.jpg

After that I decided to lay out the tools and supplies I'll be using. I've been buying and sitting on this stuff for about a year or so - and forgot where or what half of it was. At first glance this looks all well and good (DA palm sander, a speed regulated grinder with clean and strip wheels, some roloc discs, etc - at least before realizing how badly I assumed and end up spending even more money than I planned on supplies and tools... and razor blades (those are for my wrists).

IMG_20200126_204623.jpg

Remember kids, this going to be a functional refinishing project - it ain't going to be a show car. Manage your expectations accordingly. Maybe you'll get to see me polish a turd later.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 7 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I used to use old newspaper and file folders too

Then I found out that 3M masking film is like $3 for a giant roll and you don't have to blow $4 of tape to mask the car :p

However thin plastic isn't that great for weld splatter SO you end up back to cardboard and tape...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well that was a tonne of fun. Felt like a dentist drilling out a cavity getting all the paint and smutz out of the seams and welds. I would recommend doing this work only to people I hate. Waitaminute...

Talked to Mr. Riddler and we both agreed it would be a good idea to put a steel filler plate into the B and C pillars versus packing it full of fiberglass. This car is going to try to twist itself apart until I put a rollbar into it.

It is going to be a real treat filling this void:

IMG_20200127_200528.jpg

I am surprised that I haven't found any bubble gum stuffed into a void. GM had some sketchy build quality.

IMG_20200127_200535.jpg

IMG_20200127_200637.jpg

It is sitting in weld through primer now waiting for me to go all Trogdor on it and start burninating.

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well that was a tonne of fun. Felt like a dentist drilling out a cavity getting all the paint and smutz out of the seams and welds. I would recommend doing this work only to people I hate. Waitaminute...

Talked to Mr. Riddler and we both agreed it would be a good idea to put a steel filler plate into the B and C pillars versus packing it full of fiberglass. This car is going to try to twist itself apart until I put a rollbar into it.

View attachment 134670

I am surprised that I haven't found any bubble gum stuffed into a void. GM had some sketchy build quality.

View attachment 134671

View attachment 134672

It is sitting in weld through primer now waiting for me to go all Trogdor on it and start burninating.

Hilarious!

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

View attachment 134670

View attachment 134671

View attachment 134672

Hit it with some booger-welds!

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Only on my floor pans.
it is a lot like talking to my wife - I cannot do that right either.
An old timer once told me "Ya know, when my wife and I were first dating, I could do no wrong. We got married, and I ain't nothin' right since!"

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This junk just showed up. In case you thought I was going to just and it with my butt. 3M 180, 220, 320 and 400 grit papers - good enough for the bathroom, good enough for my garage.

IMG_20200128_121354.jpg

Still deciding if I should get the 16 or 30 inch longboard...

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor