Cowl induction and rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Why not go to several different shops and get a ballpark estimate on painting your steel hood. I'm sure fiberglass hoods will require extra preparation.

On the steel hood, the black factory coating will have to be sanded off with a DA or jitterbug sander prior to priming and finish coating.
Have you thought of doing it yourself?

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Doing it myself may actually be a good idea... Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings LukeZ & all; I had the same question years ago. As you exceed about 45 - 50 MPH the base of the wind shield becomes a high pressure area (hence) the best place to get forced air (NASCAR). I've been caught in the rain a number of times (Power Tour, Wisconsin), most recently coming home from Car Craft Nat's this past July. Mother nature put down about 2-3 inches in an hour & 1/2 right along our path home. 60 plus miles of down poor, half the people in their daily drivers (with 1/2 worn so called all season tires) were pulled over. I could only run 35-40 as I had new MT dot drag radials on. The back end was mov'in around 5-6 inches with wind gusts. Anyway the value covers, the front of air box & engine are all water spotted, but hardly a drop in the air box. So as I'm driv'in, we know air is going into the air box but why not rain? Apparently air can turn up to a 180 degrees a lot easer than water. As I watch the water drip off the tailing edge of the hood right into the cowl area below the wipers. Maybe if you were doing 70+ MPH (higher pressure) or more in a hard rain some would enter, but that would be a very unusual event. Bob Jr.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 322
  • 14-05-62.JPG
    14-05-62.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 297
Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Greetings LukeZ & all; I had the same question years ago. As you exceed about 45 - 50 MPH the base of the wind shield becomes a high pressure area (hence) the best place to get forced air (NASCAR). I've been caught in the rain a number of times (Power Tour, Wisconsin), most recently coming home from Car Craft Nat's this past July. Mother nature put down about 2-3 inches in an hour & 1/2 right along our path home. 60 plus miles of down poor, half the people in their daily drivers (with 1/2 worn so called all season tires) were pulled over. I could only run 35-40 as I had new MT dot drag radials on. The back end was mov'in around 5-6 inches with wind gusts. Anyway the value covers, the front of air box & engine are all water spotted, but hardly a drop in the air box. So as I'm driv'in, we know air is going into the air box but why not rain? Apparently air can turn up to a 180 degrees a lot easer than water. As I watch the water drip off the tailing edge of the hood right into the cowl area below the wipers. Maybe if you were doing 70+ MPH (higher pressure) or more in a hard rain some would enter, but that would be a very unusual event. Bob Jr.
Thx for the input, vanrah. And man, that is one sleek looking car! Where did you get your cowl induction hood from? I was thinking Goodmark?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Luke,
You may consider doing it yourself. Besides saving a bunch of money, you'll also gain some valuable knowledge, which you sometimes can't put a dollar value on.
There's certainly enough knowledgeable people on the site to help steer you in the right direction.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good Evening Luke & all; That is a Harwood hood & I did have a body shop fit & paint it. Excell auto body did the work, very nicely I might add. They made cuts in the vertical edge you don't see when it's closed, for my hand (hood release) & the rubber isolators (4-2 per fender) so that it doesn't shake around when you drive. And for my .02 cents, I would never consider a metal hood. Why would I want to spend money too add weight?? Maybe for a show car? But for a hot rod it's got to be fiberglass, carbon, aluminum or titanium. Ok I'll through in chrome moly where necessary. Weight is NOt your friend, Bob Jr.

Attachments

• Malibu_12 air box 165.JPG
    Malibu_12 air box 165.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 295
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor