Crazy antifreeze prices wtf!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
Boiling point is also affected by imperfections in the coolant, the less pure the water the earlier it boils to a point.

o ARC ATHEISTxX

Greasemonkey
May 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Alright, got it . To flush my whole system i have to drain the radiator, but how do i get the water out of the engine?
And all this correlation between heat, pressure, boiling point is giving me flashbacks of my thermal dynamic and fluids class. :blah:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
well i heard the same from my a/c guy who came to charge my car the other day and the price increase is cause r-134a is going away i found out and new stuff is coming and here is the kicker its flammable just what we want in our a/c systems huh...
I thought I heard they were getting rid of R-134a, but that nothing was in the pipeline as a replacement. So they really are converting to hydrocarbon based refrigerant? Hey! I'm ahead of the curve on that, I use ES-12 already in my Bonnewagon. My others have R-134a and I found some from Texas for $225 shipped (30lb). To drain block, open the block drains, they are down low, like near the starter. Expect them to break, too.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
The best way to flush the coolant system, without the special equipment, is to throw in a can of cleaner and go for a drive. Get back and open the valve on the bottom of the radiator. Then remove the t-stat. Let the system fully cool and drain. Then fill it with tap water and start the engine, yes you still have no t-stat. Keep the rad cap off, and the hose handy. Open the drain again and constantly fill the rad with the hose. Basically youre using the water pump to circulate clean water through the engine at higher speeds than normal. You can also, on a cold engine, pull the stat and radiator hoses and plug the garden hose in one. Then you let the system drain and refill. Dont worry about getting every bit of water out of the block unless you are switching to Evans NPG

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there are plugs on each side of the block about center of the block just above where the oil pan touches the block you can remove to drain the coolant... plugs are 9/16. Personally I don't use tap water, I buy distilled water for about a buck a gallon

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
can you still sell the R12 to regular customers? Here in Canada you can't get the R12 and it was only sold to licenced shops for the last few years it was available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor