Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
RITTER said:
o ARC ATHEISTxX said:
I've been running my El Camino with straight water since i changed the radiator/water pump. Is this bad ?
The only thing bad about running straight water is that it can boil off. It will freeze (if you get freezing temperatures, of course) and will crack engine blocks and heads. Plus, your water jackets and radiator are more prone to corrosion with straight water.
Id never run straight water unless I had no other option....and I always use a T-stat. I cannot understand why anybody would not use one other than for racing purposes only. Water boils at 212 and a 50/50 mix of antifreeze boils at about 230. Thats fine in the cooler months, but in summer, you will boil out a lot of water and not even know it till its too late. Closed pressurized systems are not made to handle the pressures of boiling water and it will cause gaskets to blow and radiators to leak. Back in the old days...people ran straight water in their radiators cause it was all they had and the radiators held gallons of water in them and they werent pressurized...so the water rarely got hot enough to boil out. Todays radiators are smaller and thinner....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
water boils at 212 at atmospheric pressure, under pressure it can go much higher. Also water transfers heat better than antifreeze and with water there is not as much drag on the water pump freeing up hp

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
pontiacgp said:
water boils at 212 at atmospheric pressure, under pressure it can go much higher. Also water transfers heat better than antifreeze and with water there is not as much drag on the water pump freeing up hp
Right....thats why cars will overheat with straight AF and no water...I didnt consider the pressure diff....but at some point, the pressure produced is a greater threat than the higher boil temp, correct?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
bill said:
and thats the way it should be everywhere, should not have to be the stores responsibility to keep up with your warranty....If the part is expensive and has a warranty, youd be a fool not to keep the paperwork on it....jmo
I wish I could say that to customers 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
with a 24 psi cap water will boil at 238 and after that the cap release the pressure....if you use water wetter the boiling point is higher. We use a 28 psi cap on the race car and use water wetter and the temps have been up to 260 with nothing sprayed on the windseild so the water wetter works cause at that pressure water boils at 246

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
RITTER said:
bill said:
and thats the way it should be everywhere, should not have to be the stores responsibility to keep up with your warranty....If the part is expensive and has a warranty, youd be a fool not to keep the paperwork on it....jmo
I wish I could say that to customers 8)
Oh...I know....beleive me....customers drove me batshit with warranty crap at AZ...dont miss that at all!

CUTLASSJESSE

Greasemonkey
Jul 31, 2009
Pecatonica,IL
i still wonder why some people pay for half a gallon of water :scratches head: but the prices are going up fast just last summer i could get straight antifreeze for 7 a gallon

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
pontiacgp said:
with a 24 psi cap water will boil at 238 and after that the cap release the pressure....if you use water wetter the boiling point is higher. We use a 28 psi cap on the race car and use water wetter and the temps have been up to 260 with nothing sprayed on the windseild so the water wetter works cause at that pressure water boils at 246

Hey Pontiacgp, I`m sorry to say you have your math wrong. Every 1 psi of pressue increase raises the boiling point by 3 degrees. Water boils at 212C, with a 28 psi cap you have increased the boiling pint by 84 degrees. Your boiling point is now 294 degrees celsius. That1as why at 260 it isn`t boiling.
Dean

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
antifreeze/coolant/whatever you want to call it is also a lubricant and a corrosion inhibitor, that's why it's better than straight water. but if you really want a good coolant, check out Evans NPG+. it's expensive as hell, but it's been proven to go hundreds of thousands, sometimes a million miles! it does NOT use ANY water so it boils at a much higher temp, doesn't need any maintenance, allows you to run at lower pressures (i run a 10lb cap) so less chance of leaks, and actually keeps the cylinder walls cooler at a given temp reading. however, for the canadians among us it may or may not be great, it does get thicker with extremely cold temps, the original NPG used to sludge. it does thin right out when warmed and does not get degraded by this.

r-134 is being phased out, almost since the day they started using it. one of their bright ideas for a replacement? CO2. i thought we were trying to eliminate this stuff?
$259 for a 30lb can, that's not bad. r-12 is something like $2000!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
deanlemans81 said:
pontiacgp said:

Hey Pontiacgp, I`m sorry to say you have your math wrong. Every 1 psi of pressue increase raises the boiling point by 3 degrees. Water boils at 212C, with a 28 psi cap you have increased the boiling pint by 84 degrees. Your boiling point is now 294 degrees celsius. That1as why at 260 it isn`t boiling.
Dean

http://www.boilerroomservices.com/Facts/SteamTables.pdf

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boili ... d_926.html

water-pressure-boiling-temperature-2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor