Cruise not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaahoos

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 24, 2019
Usually it is a leaking vacuum servo that causes the cruise to not work, I have fixed them with RTV.
Thank you so much for that answer. It took me a long time to find the right wording on YouTube to get the proper information. I followed along with someone rebuilding the servo unit, cleaned it up, removed the air filter that had crumbled and probably plugged an orifice in the servo unit because now The unit itself,does work as it is supposed to. The cruise control still does not work, but I think I have fixed one of the problems. The inside of the servo was filthy and here is a picture of the air filter that had crumbled and blocked a vacuum line. Thank you again.

Attachments

• 786DD85E-7DEE-4160-88F8-BC894ECD4156.jpeg
    786DD85E-7DEE-4160-88F8-BC894ECD4156.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
Reactions: 1 users

yaahoos

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 24, 2019
V6? V8? Which engine?

It's a K34 RPO car. They're electronic "transducers" of sorts, not the old style speedometer driven transducers. A lot of the time you can point to 2 major causes....the cruise wand or the servo unit itself. It may be a vacuum leak. Seriously doubt it's the speed sensor (little green AC thingie that sits in the dash near the speedo). They hardly ever go bad.

But....there's also a brake lamp switch with cruise. Again- fat chance, but can't ever rule it out. If it's sticking you could be getting a "disengage" condition when you don't want it to. GM p/n 25524845.

Do you have delay wipers? If so, you would need a delay cruise turn signal lever, GM p/n 25031456 or equivalent. If not, you get one without the delay, GM p/n 25031457. Just a note- They're the exact same switch/lever functionally, the delay or non-delay lettering imprint on the barrel is the only thing different. So if you have a good used one laying around, it doesn't matter about the imprint as the delay or non-delay switch inside the column is what does all that.

The servo you need gots a chain on it I believe. For a Chebby V8, it's one of these numbers- 25031884, 25074084, 25074085, 25074632, 25074649

If you have the 231 V6, the p/n for the servo is GM p/n 25074630.
Thank you so much for your information. The car is a 305 V8. Exactly what I was looking for. I did not test, or even know how to at this point, the switch on the brake pedal that had a kinked hose. I did replace that hose with a longer one that is not kinked. Still no cruise control. I will check the green thing behind the speedometer if I can lay on my back and see up there, or should I remove the dash gauges? Would that be easier. Seems to be a lot of wires and stuff in the way. Maybe you also know how to check the disengagement switch that the hose was hooked to. I also tried a couple other things such as the five pin plug-in that goes into the servo to see if there was power at any of the plug-ins. I turn the switch to on, with the key on, pressed the cruise button and none of the five terminals lit up. I also tried pressing the Resume button and also nothing lit up on my test light. I would’ve thought something would have let up.? Thank you so much for the suggestions that I did not know about or couldn’t find anywhere. It is much appreciated and I think very helpful to many who are experiencing their first G body vehicle.

Attachments

• CF70C37A-5F18-479C-AA1B-F3D47741247C.jpeg
    CF70C37A-5F18-479C-AA1B-F3D47741247C.jpeg
    760.4 KB · Views: 136

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My suggestion is to seek out a GM service manual for your year/make/model. They can be found used on ebay, or most are available new in paper or CD versions. The OE manual will have a vehicle specific flowchart for diagnosing the Cruise system, as well as lots of other useful info.

Suggestions from other people are always good, but the shop manual will lead you down a practically foolproof path to resolution, that was written by the people that designed the system.

I mention this because I have seen people surprised that the OE manuals are still available. IMO, they are an invaluable resource for troubleshooting, especially electrical

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I wouldn't worry too much about that speed sensor in the dash at the moment. Like I said, I've never seen one of those ever go bad. Not saying they couldn't, I've just never saw them do it. You'd also likely get a check engine light if that went bad because the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) drives other inputs to the ECM.

Reactions: 1 user

yaahoos

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 24, 2019
I wouldn't worry too much about that speed sensor in the dash at the moment. Like I said, I've never seen one of those ever go bad. Not saying they couldn't, I've just never saw them do it. You'd also likely get a check engine light if that went bad because the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) drives other inputs to the ECM.
Thanks . I tried to get the speedometer cable off and remove the dash panel to find this module and I can’t even get my hand up there. I know this is going to sound dumb but what “box” should go here ( as in pic)? There is a 3 pin socket that should go into something. And is this green thing something to do with the speedo/ cruise ?Thanks again

Attachments

• 628703CB-7ADA-42D5-AB7F-319C26553080.jpeg
    628703CB-7ADA-42D5-AB7F-319C26553080.jpeg
    752.5 KB · Views: 140
  • D0B5DDF9-1118-4DF3-A145-09F4658F4EA2.jpeg
    D0B5DDF9-1118-4DF3-A145-09F4658F4EA2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143

yaahoos

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 24, 2019
Ebay has a service manual for your 85 Grand Prix. About 35 shipped to your door plus any applicable sales tax. These books originally cost big $$ if you got them from Helm, the ones who printed them for GM.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=400168207693

And if you need a body manual..15 plus tax, or best offer.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=392640228391
Because I’m loving this car more and more each day ( as frustrating as it is) I think that manual wud be a good idea. Is it quite specific yet easy to follow? Thank you

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Here's a page from the 1983 Caballero shop manual showing the general diagnostic path for that carline as an example of what you can expect in the manual
SAM_1884.JPG

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks . I tried to get the speedometer cable off and remove the dash panel to find this module and I can’t even get my hand up there. I know this is going to sound dumb but what “box” should go here ( as in pic)? There is a 3 pin socket that should go into something. And is this green thing something to do with the speedo/ cruise ?Thanks again
That green thing is the VSS (speed sensor) I was talking about. Like I said, that's the last thing I'd be worried about at the moment.

The other pic shows a connector to what I recall is the power antenna motor wiring. Absolutely nothing to do with your cruise control. Does it have a power antenna? Or did it come with one from the factory (SPID sticker on trunklid still attached? If so, look for "U75" RPO code- that's the power antenna)? Sometimes when the cable breaks inside the antenna, the motor doesn't open the torque switches and will continue to run and do nothing with the antenna. So people just unplug them to stop the insanity until they can fix them, or never fix them because most of the time, they seem to break when the antenna is in the up position and it still works. Not always, but mostly.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor