CS130 Alternator Help (Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Need some help with this CS130 alternator. The system is not charging and I disconnected the positive cable while the car was running and the engine died right away. The battery has died twice in the last two days, so there is no charge going on.

I've got the charging warning bulb in my dash which should give enough resistance in the system. Then the red wire from the plug is run to the starter and the BAT wire is ran to the starter post as well. But the system is just not charging. I saw somewhere where a guy ran the red wire from the plug to the BAT post and then the BAT wire to the starter. Any ideas?

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
Re: CS130 Alternator Help

did this just start? or is it a problem with the switchover itself?

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado

Here is a write up for the swap:
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/u ... Post493219
I did it when i installed the Intrepid fan swap using one of the harness adapter for the voltage gauge and it made quite a difference! I also upgrade the cable going to the battery as well. 8)

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX

Yeah TC1959, I've already got my factory manual open next to me on that same page.

I checked the battery and its only at 12.2 volts and the output terminal (BAT) on the alternator is putting out almost the same. I checked the resistance of the brown wire and it has only like 1.?? ohms of resistance and I know this wire needs to have at least 35 ohms of resistance. I'm going to get the adapter plug with the resistors built in and hope that solves the problem.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.

pat mckinney racing said:
Yeah TC1959, I've already got my factory manual open next to me on that same page.

I checked the battery and its only at 12.2 volts and the output terminal (BAT) on the alternator is putting out almost the same. I checked the resistance of the brown wire and it has only like 1.?? ohms of resistance and I know this wire needs to have at least 35 ohms of resistance. I'm going to get the adapter plug with the resistors built in and hope that solves the problem.
S terminal to battery fuse link at starter
F terminal not used
L terminal to Idiot light ( do not use amp gauge ) No resistors required all you need is the bulb to excite the field.
P not used
IF this does not work then alt is at fault.
google novaresource.com they have a good page with pics and diagrams.
Happy hunting 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

patmckinneyracing said:

the alternator should be putting out more than 12. something volts...sounds like the alternator is your problem

here's the napa part number for the adapter..Napa ECHEC82 resitor adapter

and a delco one...AC Delco 8078 resitor adaptor

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX

I tried both the alernator I got from the junkyard (tested good at the parts store) and even bought a new one since I get a discount at O'reillys. Both were putting out the same voltage and the battery was reading the same.

What may have happened was when I went through the harness, its a possibility that I may have snipped the wire to the idiot light. As seen in the pic posted by TC1959, the brown wire splits and hooks to the ignition and the idiot light itself.

Since the new alternator acted as a control, I believe the brown wire isn't providing enough resistance to, and I quote, "tickle" the voltage regulator into allowing more voltage output. I'm going to get the adapter plug and hopefully that should solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor