Cut the cable and streaming services opinions

I'm with you. I have DirecTV and it's about 5% useful. I'm not sure about the streaming services that are out there. There's pros/cons with all of them it seems. If you're into regional sports channels and stuff, I'd probably stay away from Youtube TV @ $65 per month since 1) They don't carry ANY Bally Sports Channels and just a few other sports entities, and 2) They're like FB and Twitter in blatantly editing the content you see and hear. Maybe all of them do it, but Youtube is already openly blatant about it. There's a lot of wannabe band-wagon woke-azz TV streaming out there, and I wish I could avoid all that, but the sh*t is like cancer, it's nearly everywhere.

I've been looking into subscribing to channels, but first I need better interweb speeds out here in the boondocks. And right now, that ain't happening. It's kinda strange that I subscribe to AT&T internet but they won't put high speed out this far. Nobody does. So I'm limited. If I had a better IP, I'd probably just look into subscribing to networks with the smaller channel packages so I could build my own. Add and drop as I see fit. I haven't run a cost analysis on it, because of the first problem, but if they do up some IP services, then I'll look into it.

Reactions: Tony1968
Steaming is not like regular TV. There is no flipping channels. You need to know what you're wanting to watch. I have worked for Dish for years and while it's getting out of hand and becoming more and more expensive, streaming is not much better pricewise. You first have to have stable High Speed Internet (HSI) and need to consider the price of each streaming app you want to subscribe to that offer all the TV shows you currently watch. Not all streaming services offer everything you want in one place. By the time you add up all the apps needed and increase your HSI to handle the streaming you'll be about where you are with Dish. DirecTV and the various cable companies. And that's not to mention the streaming services are also increasing their prices. Netflix has just gone up again and Amazon Prime has as well, just to name a couple.
Hope this adds food for though before you make your move.

Starlink is not available in my area until at LEAST the end of 2022. 😢

We did what you want and have the following:

Use a flat panel antenna, gives us the first 30 or so channels.

Our TVs are Samsung models. They come pre-installed with 'Samsung TV' which is a couple hundred channels ranging from parts of Pluto TV, XITE music channels, classic movie channels, etc.

At Christmas a couple years ago we bought Roku units for $19.99 each. That's more movies, more sitcoms to stream. No monthly costs and they rotate content.

Then we have unlimited plans though Verizon, and selected what I think was called the play more do more plan. It gave ESPN+, Disney+, and Hulu at no additional cost built in the plan.

Combine them all and we don't miss Netflix or anything else, have hundreds of channels and thousands of on demand shows and movies. And it doesn't cost a single dollar each month.

Our internet is the $20/mo xfinity lowest plan, and each year we switch service between my and the wife's name to keep starting 'new service' at that promotional rate. Speeds have never had an issue with the streaming.

Internet + streaming service = more than cable. I've been trying to get around cable for awhile. YouTube TV just as expensive but so so quality in the picture department limited sports, Hulu TV same thing but with the added part of its Netflix style catalog of shows and movies. Netflix sux it get stale quickly after a month. Samsung TV plus isn't bad just not the new new shows but a lot of variety. I got Amazon prime with my phone service and my lady has Disney+ and something else with her service and with a smart TV you can get the apps to run on it so you don't hurt your neck watching on your phone. Pluto TV is like a throwback TV channel lots of 80s and 90s movies in been missing

Reactions: Tony1968
We are actually looking at dumping all of our streaming services: Amazon Prime, Netflix, Spotify, etc it is adding up and getting close to what cable used to cost. We are also looking at dumping one of the smartphone data plans and just going for a voice option.

So be cautious, they will get your money if you let them.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor