CUTLASS Cutlass excessive cranking before cold start

studer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2023
Alberta
I actually went through the small vs large case trying to run a 120 amp CS130 amp alternator on my 70 Cutlass S. I run a serpentine setup from a mid 90's sbc truck. Well I am pretty sure you don't have a 10SI alternator, never seen this before. You actually have the rare 15 or 27si. The brushes and regulator should be the same. Not sure why a basic Cutlass would have a special large case, higher output alternator. We got weird cars up here. I wouldn't go below 85 amps, idle output is much less vs the later CS130 or other more modern alternators.
Yes, after some more research that was done at the expense of a lot of sleep, I also don't think I have a 10si alternator. If I remember what I was reading last night, the max output of any 10si alternator was 63 amps. This is the lowest available factory alternator output for a 1982 Cutlass. Since the 12si alternators didn't get to the Cutlass until 1983, any 1982 Cutlass that has an alternator over 63 amps, must be some sort of larger case? Cause the whole reason for the development of the 12si was increased electrical demands, and the existing larger, higher output alternators were going to be difficult to fit in the 'modern' engines of the mid-80's...if I remember my research right. So this means if I can get my hands on an alternator specifically for a 1982 Cutlass, with an output over 63 amps, it should match my current alternator size...right? In the photo below, the Remy 20039 (10si, 63 amp) is on the left, and the Remy 20239 (larger case, 70 amp) is on the right. Both of these are options for my vehicle on RockAuto. And the case on the right does look different and larger than the case on the right.

10si vs larger case.JPG

So if I'm piecing this all together, what I'm really looking for is a Remy 22100 or equivalent (large case, 85 amp). I think there is a 0.5% chance I find one of those locally, so ordering from RockAuto may be the cheapest option.

When I bought this car, the guy selling it was super proud of the spec of vehicle it was. He said it took him a long time to find one with all of the exact specs and options that he wanted. I'm assuming this 85 amp alternator was part of the spec he was searching so hard for lol.

edit: I also find it really weird how there are NO alternator rebuild kits for a 1982 Cutlass on RockAuto. There are rebuild kits for a 1982 Monte Carlo with a 267 (the two kits say they're for 37 amp and 55 amp alternators though). There are the same two rebuild kit options for a 1982 Malibu 267. 1982 Regal 267 also has a rebuild kit available. The rebuild kit options on RA seem to be Standard Motor Products AK5 and AK6. I've never rebuilt an alternator, so I don't know if either of these rebuild kits would include the correct parts to rebuild my large case 85 amp alternator. The voltage regulator looks the same, but that's all I can really tell.

Last edited:

studer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2023
Alberta
Called around to some local parts places, only one place can get me a 70 amp alternator, and it was $180 CAD plus tax, and 5 business days away. Nowhere else that I called had anything but 63 amp alternators available. So I just ordered a Remy 22100 (85 amp) from RA. Total cost including shipping and tax was about $108 CAD. Should arrive before next weekend, so I'll hopefully be able to close the loop on this thread & fix then.

Reactions: 3 users

studer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2023
Alberta
Just wanting to close the loop on the charging issue. So I was able to pick up my alternator yesterday evening, had a bit of time this afternoon to install it and make sure it works. As you can see from the photos, it's a much more direct replacement of my existing alternator. Got the alternator and belt on, system seems to charge fine now, voltage is correct and the charge/batt light isn't on. As you can see from the photos, this alternator puts out 77 amps at idle, is rated for 85 amps, and apparently maxes out at 106 amps. I have absolutely no idea what could need that much power on a vehicle of this vintage, but I haven't calculated the loads. Either way, it's done and seems to be working great.

20240111_123448 (Custom).jpg
20240111_123522 (Custom).jpg
20240111_123554 (Custom).jpg
20240111_130600 (Custom).jpg
20240111_130649 (Custom).jpg

edit: I realize this latest post provides no closure on the excessive cranking to start when cold starting. That issue may need to be put on the shelf for a while. We are in the middle of -30 C to -40 C temps this week, so the extended fall weather that we were blessed with through Nov and Dec has definitely come to an end. With that, it means I won't be making the 75 minute drive into the city to my buddy's shop to work on the Cutlass anytime soon. It still needs to pass an OPI (Out of Province Inspection) since it was last registered in BC (feel free to talk sh*t about me for buying a Gbody that needs an OPI). Once that is passed, I will then likely look into wiring in an electric pump to prime the fuel system before a cold crank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor