Cutlass salon, sold but never transferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If that is David's old car they could probably still sell it using the title signed by him.
Years ago I would by cars and repair them and then resell them, I wouldn't transfer the title since I knew I would be selling them but I also didn't drive them and only had them for probably less than a month.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
565bbchevy said:
If that is David's old car they could probably still sell it using the title signed by him.
Years ago I would by cars and repair them and then resell them, I wouldn't transfer the title since I knew I would be selling them but I also didn't drive them and only had them for probably less than a month.
Maybe so...but in NC/VA...you have to possess a dealers license to do that. Otherwise, the title has to be in your name before you can sell it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
In MI back then I think if you did 5 or more in a year you did need a dealers license, I don't know if that still applies these days but they probably changed it so they can make more money.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
am4blue said:
Do you have a bill of sale? I am not a lawyer, however I worked in the insurance industry in Michigan so have some knowledge of motor vehicle code.

Whenever I sell a car, I always meet the seller at the Sec of State (DMV) and finalize everything there and then. That gets the car out of my name and I am not liable if he goes out and drives it into a school. With no bill of sale and without him retitling it in his name, you may be liable if something happens when he or anyone else is driving it.

My first stop would be to your DMV. You could force him to retitle it in his name by going to the DMV and applying for a duplicate title saying you lost yours. This is not the right way to do things and I am not advising you to do that as you may get in trouble. However, if it went through without him contesting, you could theoretically try to repo the car as his title should be null and void now. Again, not advising you to do that.

Some states have something called a Transfer Notification that you would fill out when you sell a car. Not sure what it does exactly, but it may have been created to protect sellers in exactly this situation.

It never sat well with me to sign over a title to someone and just hope they retitled it like they are supposed to do. If they didn't and the buyer got in trouble, believe me, the insurance companies would be on you right away for damages. You could reasonably be held liable for those damages as you still are titled on the vehicle.

That would be my biggest concern right now, liability. If he ran over a bunch of nuns (God forbid...) or caused a train derailment with "your" car, it would get messy and I've seen the insurance companies go after people for really big sums of money. If I was the insurance company, I would DEFINITLY go after you and force you to prove you did not own the car, which you may be unable to do because it's still titled in your name.

All states have laws as to how long an individual has to transfer title. Check with the state DMV.

D

Thank you so much for this.
I am still trying to figure everything out.
But without vin# no one can help.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
565bbchevy said:

That's what I was told, That since I signed the back he can sell it however he wants.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
-83MONTESS- said:
Evan's 85 said:
here it is for sale I believe..posted only a few days ago...pics look to be the same ones David posted up when he was selling it last yr. this is your old car isn't it David?

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3206967358.html
"if it doesnt sell today im not selling it"

Rrrright

I know right, Hes forcing that sell.
But the bad thing is hes done absolutely nothing to the car since getting it from me.
Trying to make a profit.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
565bbchevy said:
I had that happen a couple times when someone didn't tranfer the title and both times the car got impounded and the police called me thinking it might have been stolen and both times I explained to them that I sold it, once was well over a year. Both times I was also told if I wanted to pay the impound fee I had every right to retrieve my old car but I passed on both.
Now when I sell a car I have the new owner sign the title in front of me and I go in my house a make a photo copy of the title and their driver's license, if I didn't have a copier I would take a picture of both.
Every state is different in MI the other option is you go with the new owner to s.o.s. and do the transfer, which I say screw that I don't like when I have to go there for myself.

I wish I would have thought of taking a picture of everything, Darn I hate myself now.
But now I know what to do if I go through this again.
No more trusting, we will go to the dmv together and will not leave till we get everything filed over.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Now, I sold my first 79 GP to a guy i knew for 900 bucks, I signed the title to him and let him borrow my plates, so he could get his later..., WELL i got a call later about a month later from the Oklahoma State Police to come pick up my car.... Come to find out the guy i sold it to went to Texas to fill up MY legally registered to my name GP and do a drug run!! :shock: What saved me was the Bill of sale!.... They grilled me on the suspect and how i knew him. I told them i didn't know him that well and faxed them a copy of the bill of sell and they dropped the case against me! :| They did offer me to go pick up my GP for the cost of the salvage yards fees and storage though! I told them to just auction it off.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor