Cutting coils to lower front end (Have pics posted now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supreme-Kustoms

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2009
Just got my springs cut and put in today I took 1 and 1/2 coils from the ground to the fender well in the center is 23 inches . from the wheel center to the fender wheel is 11 or so. Its sitting on the front rubbers on the lower control arms. I dont have any shocks in the front yet also so maybe when I put them in there it will stiffen it up more. I have 205/70R15s on the front and its pretty close to rubbing the fender well.

If I run a 205/60r15 wil it increase me distance between fender well and tire?

Thanks Dane

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
As far as your the rubber bump stops, it is possible that you may have to trim the top nub off the top to provide clearance. I had to trim part of mine off in order to provide clearance. Make sure you have an alignment done as well.

When it comes to counting coils, I just started from the top and counted by every every half circle down. My suspension was sitting super high too after i took out the old springs, but I got sick and tired of the old springs bottoming out. The ride will get a little stiffer and you may have to watch out for the occassional bumps, but I enjoy it a lot now because it has that stance.

Supreme-Kustoms

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2009
Thats what I figured. Yeah I know about bumps and sh*t avoid them every day in my 50 Chevy the front cross member in it is 4 inches off the ground back bumper is 6 and front bumper is 12.

Im not worried about that I was just worried about controll arm clearance.

Dane

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Supreme-Kustoms said:
Thats what I figured. Yeah I know about bumps and sh*t avoid them every day in my 50 Chevy the front cross member in it is 4 inches off the ground back bumper is 6 and front bumper is 12.

Im not worried about that I was just worried about controll arm clearance.

Dane

If your ground clearance is less than 6 1/2" then the hump on the back side of the lower control arm will siting on the frame in turns. We had to run our circle track metric car at 6.75" ground clearance to get the clearance for the lower control arm. We had to leave the lower control arm stock but if you remove that hump and run tall lower ball joints you may get the clearance you need.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
don't worry about tall ball joints since your not worried about cornering......

for the lower they lower your ride height without affecting your bump travel and the front end geometry is improved when a tall upper joint is also used giving a better camber curve through corners...Howe makes them but they run around $80 per.....but then again you only get what you pay for...

Supreme-Kustoms

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2009
i have a half inch between my lower control arm hump and the frame I bought a set of coil spacers and Im going to put them in the front and see if it comes up. How much clearence should be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor