cutting srings on a v6 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
I'm new to this forum and I've done some searching with no luck. I'd like to cut my springs on my v6 cutlass supreme but when I look at the springs, at least the back, they narrow at the top and bottom. So where do I cut from?? Top or bottom and how will they fit back into place???
Sorry for the newbe question.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I did mine. Cut the pigtail out of the top of the spring. I then took the original isolator and cut it so I could then zip tie it to conform to the new diameter of the spring. Get some extra hands when you are jacking up the rear again so you can keep the springs centered until there is weight on them.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for the tip bro. Gonna go try this out today.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
Went ahead and got it done today with the help of my homie Brett. What we ended up cutting was 2 coils in the front and 1 coil in the back.

Here's Brett putting in work on the 1st spring...

Me hittin up the 2nd..

Didn't take pics of rear install since it was way too fast, lol.
Here's the stock height....
[URL=http://s577.photobucket.com/user/droopdaddy408/media/IMAG1100_zps9af9b0c1.jpg.html]

And here it is slammed, ya it's low.

Rides bumpy of course but I love the look. It'll do until I get my hydros installed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
jrm81bu said:
I did mine. Cut the pigtail out of the top of the spring. I then took the original isolator and cut it so I could then zip tie it to conform to the new diameter of the spring. Get some extra hands when you are jacking up the rear again so you can keep the springs centered until there is weight on them.

You can use an F body isolator, it hs an opening in the center that fits the hump for the pig tail nicely and it has a channel molded into it to fit an open end spring

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
where's your safety glasses?.. :shock:

IMAG1171_zps67d2a76c.jpg

IMAG1172_zpse31c2407.jpg

Big_White

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
and how to cut the rear springs?

i will need to change the shocks for shorter one?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Depends on how much you are cutting, if they are too short the spring will fall out if you jack up the rear of the car. I have the short Bilsteins in mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor