Dad's 62 Ford Galaxie

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Jack,

I couldn't agree with you more. It's funny, I was looking at a Car Craft magazine earlier today and was shocked to see Chip Foose putting his name on Bondo products. I seriously doubt they are using Bondo products on anything that comes out of his shop. The technology in the new paint/body materials is truly impressive.
Maybe his deal with 3M requires him help sell Bondo products. They have to make something back from wasting money on buying Bondo.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Not sure about the Bondo deal but I suspect it was like pagrunt suggested as being tied in with a 3M deal. Never used it myself so can't speak to the quality.
Slight tangent; My daughter met Chip at the airport last Christmas when they were both waiting on the same plane. She's 17 and pretty shy so I was surprised that she even approached him. He was extremely gracious and talked to her for several minutes and seemed to have a genuine interest in the cars she'd grown up with. I thought that was pretty classy of him.

Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Chip is a class act, no doubt. He's very approachable from what I understand. I guess that's why the fans love him.
The fact that Bondo is a 3M product explains the association with Chip. You can't hold it against him...:)

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Maybe his deal with 3M requires him help sell Bondo products. They have to make something back from wasting money on buying Bondo.

Not sure about the Bondo deal but I suspect it was like pagrunt suggested as being tied in with a 3M deal. Never used it myself so can't speak to the quality.
Slight tangent; My daughter met Chip at the airport last Christmas when they were both waiting on the same plane. She's 17 and pretty shy so I was surprised that she even approached him. He was extremely gracious and talked to her for several minutes and seemed to have a genuine interest in the cars she'd grown up with. I thought that was pretty classy of him.

Chip is a class act, no doubt. He's very approachable from what I understand. I guess that's why the fans love him.
The fact that Bondo is a 3M product explains the association with Chip. You can't hold it against him...:)

I agree with all of you that Chip seems by all accounts to be a terrific guy. I didn't know Bondo was a 3M product so that makes his endorsement make total sense. In general, I really like 3M products. I'm surprised they haven't reformulated Bondo to keep up with the competition.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm a little slow updating the thread but we made some good progress on the Galaxie last Saturday. We started off taping up the car again to spot in all the body work with the epoxy primer....

Resized_20170722_113932.jpeg

I didn't have what I needed for the wing window so I helped Sean tape the car up. Dad was doing a few last minute tweaks on a few of the body work areas. By around lunchtime we had the car taped up and the mail carrier came with the glass setting tape that I needed to put the wing window glass back in the window frame. Our glass guy never responded last week and Dad's attempt to get a local glass shop to the do the work was unsuccessful. They told him to put it in with duct tape! Most people just don't know how to work on this old stuff. I started working on the vent window after lunch. I used glass setting tape from Dennis Carpenter for side windows for Fords of the era. I watched a Youtube video and then went for it. It turned out well. Here is the vent window in the glass setting tape before I trimmed it up. You can see some of the glass setting tape to the right of the vent window sitting on the table.....

Resized_20170722_142404.jpeg

After trimming the glass setting tape with the utility knife blade you see in the picture above, I installed the vent window into the outer vent window frame and installed the hardware on the post that provides the slight drag on the vent window so it doesn't flop around when you open it. It turned out well. More kudos to Steele Rubber Products on these reproduction seals. They did a great job. I also installed a NOS vent window handle and button. The chrome on the NOS handle is beautiful. It will look great in the car....
Resized_20170722_153151.jpeg

Here is a look with the vent window open. This is ready to go back into the car....

Resized_20170722_153321.jpeg

While I was working on the vent window inside at the kitchen table, Dad and Sean mixed up the primer and spotted in the body work. The material flowed out really well this time. The material was just too cold when we had trouble with it back in March....

Resized_20170722_160020.jpeg

Resized_20170722_160014.jpeg

The next major task, bodywork wise is to adjust the passenger door again to get it fitting better. Then the wing window and side window can go back in it. Some good news is that we don't have the problem at the lower rear corner of the driver's side door. Some of the paint in the jamb ended up chipped off and Dad had assumed the corner of the door was hitting but that isn't the case. I looked at it closely and there is plenty of clearance. It must be an adhesion problem.

Progress will likely be a little slow over the next week or so. My brother and sister-in-law are going to upstate New York to Cooperstown to see Jeff Bagwell go in the Baseball Hall of Fame this weekend. I wanted to go but not bad enough to get on a plane or drive cross-country. I'm home with kids so I doubt I'll be over there working on the Galaxie. Dad may make some progress but he's working every day this week and next, and he just got a new shed for the back yard so he has a fairly pressing project with it.

Thanks for tuning in. I'll update this when there is news to report.

Reactions: 10 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
As always, thanks for the updates. Little by little she's coming together. It's good to see progress being made.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Looking REALLY GOOD Jared!
This break gives me enough time to restock my fridge with "Frosty Beverages":friday: and grab another bag of popcorn!:popcorn:

My Dad, brother, and I went down a similar road when Dad went "hunting" with his 89 Grand Marquis. He got a 8 point buck in the left front fender, door and roof. My brother and I decided it was payback time for all the work Dad had done for us, Blocking this car no less then 4 times before shooting with Jaguar black.
Glad we took the time to be picky about how straight we could make this car.
P5280016.JPG Replacement fender and door, roof pulled and filled. P1160002.JPG On the last round of blocking!
P7150030.JPG After color sanding and first round of buffing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your final product!!
Keep up the good work!

Bob S.

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
Another great thread! This one reminds me of my own dad. I always knew him as a quiet, reserved guy with a passion for big, fast Fords. As I got older, I learned he was quite the hell raiser in his younger days, and those Fords spent a lot of time on the streets racing for money. My mom (his second wife) put an end to all that. She never has taken anyone's crap! She still talks about the 2 new 1962 Fords they had. The first one was a convertible that leaked like crazy. They traded it for an identical hardtop later in the year. He had a 97 Thunderbird V8 when he passed away in 2010 that I still have.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looking REALLY GOOD Jared!
This break gives me enough time to restock my fridge with "Frosty Beverages":friday: and grab another bag of popcorn!:popcorn:

My Dad, brother, and I went down a similar road when Dad went "hunting" with his 89 Grand Marquis. He got a 8 point buck in the left front fender, door and roof. My brother and I decided it was payback time for all the work Dad had done for us, Blocking this car no less then 4 times before shooting with Jaguar black.
Glad we took the time to be picky about how straight we could make this car.
View attachment 71019 Replacement fender and door, roof pulled and filled. View attachment 71022 On the last round of blocking!
View attachment 71026 After color sanding and first round of buffing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your final product!!
Keep up the good work!

Bob S.
Bob,
You wouldn't have gotten the same level of quality from a production body shop.
It looks like the car came out quite nice.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor