Dad's 62 Ford Galaxie

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Bob,
You wouldn't have gotten the same level of quality from a production body shop.
It looks like the car came out quite nice.

Thanks Jack!
I can see the hard work and passion Jared, Sean and Dad are putting into this car. Reminds me of my Dad and younger brother working on our projects.
I have a good feeling the finished product will be spectacular! Sean's Z28 is proof of their quality of work.

Bob S.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jack!
I can see the hard work and passion Jared, Sean and Dad are putting into this car. Reminds me of my Dad and younger brother working on our projects.
I have a good feeling the finished product will be spectacular! Sean's Z28 is proof of their quality of work.

Bob S.
I totally agree with you, Bob.
I also have a good feeling that Dad's '62 Ford is going to be one stunning ride. If Sean's car is any indication of the detail and perseverance that went into it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Anything new here?
Thanks for your interest. Progress has continued since my last update but it has been slowed a little. Most of August was spent building a new storage shed in Dad's back yard. He had an 8'x8' back there but it wasn't enough. He upgraded to an 8'x12' and Sean and I helped him get it built. To say it was a Herculean effort would be an understatement. It was no fun doing it in August at the height of the summer. We all made a trip to Dallas the weekend before last to celebrate my twin nieces' birthday at the Zoo. It was fun...
20170902_094235_1504386668904.jpg

We also lost a weekend to Hurricane Harvey. Progress has been made though.

Sean and Dad pulled the passenger door back off of the car and enlarged the slots in the hinges to provide more adjustment. The lower rear corner of the door was sticking out relative to the quarter panel and needed to roll in some more. They helped it a great deal but Dad wanted more. He pulled the door off again and worked on it a little more. The weekend before last, we spent Saturday working on improving panel alignment. We adjusted the passenger fender, adjusted the passenger door, installed and adjusted the cowl cover and adjusted the hood. Is it perfect like a hand made car or the show cars you see on TV? No. Still, I think it looks damn good. The gaps are a compromise. short of more cutting and welding they are as good as they will get. Here is a look at the realigned sheet metal...

20170819_152413_1503174435540.jpg

20170819_152434_1503174434956.jpg

20170819_152557_1503174434243.jpg

Once we were satisfied that we were done with panel alignment, Sean and Dad turned their attention to pulling the driver's side window and wing window. There were several reasons for this. First, I need to tear down the driver's side wing window and replace the rubber in it the same as I did on the passenger side. Also, the outer window felt strips on the top edge of the door and quarter on the driver's side needed replaced. Dad had replaced them before but was unsatisfied with how it turned out. Sean and Dad have already re-replaced the passenger side window felt or 'dew sweeps'. Finally, the driver's side door glass really needs to be re-set in its window frame.

While Sean and Dad started pulling the windows out of the Driver's side door, I turned my attention to re-setting the passenger side door glass in its frame. It was a little loose in its frame and we didn't want to put it together like that. The lower frame with the roller track for the regulator also needed cleaned up. Here is a look at what I started with....
20170903_131730.jpg

20170903_132517-1612x1209.jpg

Here is a look at the dried up window setting tape in the lower run. Crusty....

20170903_134814.jpg

This was the Saturday before last. I got the window frame cleaned up. I got the lower channel cleaned up. During the week (last week) Dad got the lower channel painted. During last week I polished the outside of the passenger door glass with the Eastwood polishing kit. It had an old hard water stain on it that Dad was convinced would not come off. It came off. I have everything at my house now to put the window back together. I hope to get it done tonight but I've been working late all week. If I don't, I'll do it Saturday morning while Dad and Sean put the vent window back in the passenger door.

Last Saturday I hosted Scott (Injectedcutty) and his brother-in-law Brian before they drove back home to Louisville. While I did, Sean and Dad went all the way around the car block sanding it. They needed to sand out the places they spot primed with the epoxy. The epoxy has been blocked out twice now. I don't have any new pictures of the blocking but I can tell you Sean came home tired and dirty last Saturday.

The plan is to get both of the wing windows and both of the door windows back in the car and then tape it up and shoot it with the lacquer based primer surfacer. Then the whole car will be blocked again. My immediate tasks are to finish re-setting the Passenger door glass in its frame, replace the rubber in the Driver's side vent window, and re-set the Driver's side door glass in its frame. That will facilitate getting all the glass back in the car so it can be taped up. Thanks for tuning in. I'll follow up once we have some more progress to report. Hopefully the glass will be back in the passenger door by the end of Saturday.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Those gaps look better than 95% of the 60s cars you'll see at any cruise night. Nice job there.
The Eastwood kit you referenced, that's a glass polishing kit?

And tell those girls happy birthday from all of us.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Those gaps look better than 95% of the 60s cars you'll see at any cruise night. Nice job there.
The Eastwood kit you referenced, that's a glass polishing kit?

And tell those girls happy birthday from all of us.
Thanks. We try to put as much attention to detail into our work as we can. The gap at the rear of the driver's side door is a bit tight, but I think it will look fine with paint. We'd like to move the driver's side door and fender forward but the hood isn't long enough. :) What are you gonna do? It's a compromise. Thanks for the kind words and the birthday wishes for my nieces. They live in Midland, which is about 520 miles west-northwest of us (about 8 hours) so I don't get to see them much. I can't believe they are 5 already. The time really flies. On their last visit to Houston (about three months ago) they both really warmed up to me for the first time. It really touched me so it was important to me to make the birthday party. I can't say that I cared for being at the Dallas Zoo in early September (it was hot) but I had a good time overall and I wanted to show up for them, my sister (their mother) and my brother-in-law. We drove up there in the morning. Hung out a few hours and the drove home.

Eastwood has two glass polishing kits. The one I used, Part No. 12525 is for minor imperfections. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it won't take it out. You don't want to polish the inside of the glass if you want to use window tint. It causes the tinter problems. We had this trouble on the Camaro. The Part No. 12525 will take out light scratches, water marks, etc. It will even take out a light wiper mark with some work. You have to polish the whole window or you will see where you did it and where you didn't.

20170914_185953.jpg

20170914_190025.jpg

Here is a link to the kit...
http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-p...MInK-D0eGn1gIVTWV-Ch3EgwVaEAQYASABEgIfkfD_BwE

Here is a link to the kit that will take out the deeper scratches. I've never tried it. I have a scar on the rear window of my 08 GMC Sierra from Hurricane Ike that I'd like to try this on, but there is never any time.....

http://www.eastwood.com/glass-polis...MInK-D0eGn1gIVTWV-Ch3EgwVaEAQYAiABEgJyRvD_BwE

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Time for another update. When I got home last night I changed clothes and headed out to the garage to reset the passenger door glass in it's frame. I started by cutting the window setting tape to my desired length and folding the cross section over in half. Then I taped it into position on the glass to hold it in place. I made a relief cut in the corner on both sides....

20170914_180853.jpg

Next, I set the glass in the stainless window frame which runs along the top and rear of the glass. I tapped it in with a rubber hammer until it was tightly seated in each run. Then I cut a length of setting tape for the lower window frame/track. I taped it in place and then tapped the track into position. It fastens to the stainless window frame at the rear with two Phillips head screws.....

20170914_183337.jpg

You can see that the setting tape is a little big and sticks out along the edges. Next, I simply trimmed the excess with a single edged razor blade. Then I gave the glass and window frame a final clean. It's ready to go in the door. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

20170914_190611.jpg

Tomorrow I'll start on replacing the rubber in the driver's side wing window and re-setting the glass in its frame. Thanks for following. Hopefully I have a good update tomorrow night or Sunday with tomorrow's progress.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Here's a pic of the engine compartment. This was around three months ago when the passenger fender was off. Not sure why I didn't post it before. It's a little dusty but still shows you what's going on under the hood....
Resized_20170611_150256_1497211449337.jpeg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
I'm glad to see that progress has once again resumed.
Your twin nieces are little cuties. It's nice that you were able to spent time with them, especially that you don't get to see your sister's family too often.
I'm sure Uncle Jared left an indelible impression on them. :)

I'm been wanting to pick up one one of the Eastwood glass polishing kits. I want to have the windows tinted, but of course the drivers window looks like sh*t.
It's got a nice size scuff that almost looks like a blush. My fingernail does not catch it, but I do have a few typical (vertical) scratches from a bad window sweep.
The scuff I'm sure will polish out, but the scratches I'm not too sure of.
I have two other drivers door windows. All are scratched in one way or another.
One doesn't look that terrible, except it's got a deep wear spot right by the rear window channel.
It's a matter of choosing one of the three, and finessing it to an acceptable appearance.

I'm open to any advice you have to offer. I'm glad you suggested doing the whole piece of glass rather than the area(s) in question. I did see a You Tube video on the subject, and the guy only polished part of the glass. Like you mentioned, you can probably discern between was was done and what wasn't.
I'm also wondering whether to go with kit #1 or #2.

Sorry for the long winded explanation.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor