Dad's 62 Ford Galaxie

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That post was getting long. Here is a screenshot of the hose crimping tool I bought....

Screenshot_20200829-090215_Samsung Internet.jpg

I haven't used it but I expect it will be useful sometime in the future. Thus far, i haven't been disappointed with Mastercool.

I ordered an FL-1A filter and 6 quarts of ZDDP enhanced oil from Summit. The oil in the car is 30 weight Valvoline Racing that we put in it two years ago. It doesn't have any miles on it to speak of but it looks dirty. I went with the Summit oil since it is ZDDP rich, mineral oil but isn't racing oil. After previously selecting the Valvoline Racing oil I read that it really doesn't have additive package on it for a car that does some sitting around. Dad will get the oil changed soon.

Dad has made progress on the car. He had an upholstery shop redo the rear door panels, replace the foam in the back seat and install the headliner. Unfortunately, he's not happy with any of the work, and he's definately not totally wrong. They upholstered the seats for Sean's Camaro and did a fine job but after what they did on the Galaxie, they won't get any business from me.

The back seat upholstery is a little loose. They wanted to pull the rear window out to put in the headliner but Dad understandably wasn't comfortable with them doing that on a freshly painted car. The shop manual outlines a procedure for installing the headliner with the back glass in the car. Unfortunately the upholstery shop didn't want to follow that procedure. I took some pictures which I'll post below. They may be a bit dark as the car was in the garage and it's black interior. I didn't climb in the back seat and pick the flaws to death. Dad is right but I chose to enjoy the fact that for the first time in 30 years the car has a full interior. Dad is understandably unsatisfied so a change will likely be made but we're going to have to do more homework to ensure a good outcome.

There is still a punch list. They are never finished. Still, it's a beautiful car and an amazing accomplishment that it's come this far. Here are some more pics...

20200905_105240_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20200905_105255_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20200905_105749_copy_2016x1134_1.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
One of the things on the to-do list is to install some of the push in emblems. We're having trouble with the 390 flags on the front fenders. They dont want to push in all the way. They are real-deal NOS emblems. Has anyone had this problem? What is the solution? It's nerve wracking to deal with on fresh paint.

Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
One of the things on the to-do list is to install some of the push in emblems. We're having trouble with the 390 flags on the front fenders. They dont want to push in all the way. They are real-deal NOS emblems. Has anyone had this problem? What is the solution? It's nerve wracking to deal with on fresh paint.
How thick is the paint in the holes? I’m sure the paint is thicker now than it came with from the factory. Sometimes hogging some of the paint out will do just the trick. Just don’t go too far and get down to the metal.

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Looks great - so glad you got this done so he can enjoy it. And you can enjoy it with him!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Spent last Saturday at Dad's helping him change the fuel pump. With A/C and power steering on that side of the engine, it's not an easy job. You've never seen such a big car that you can't get your hands or tools in anywhere to work on it.

I sold Dad the fuel pump that was on the car when I worked for Hi/Lo Auto Supply back in the mid-90's. It was a made in USA Carter. It's hard to complain about 23-25 years of service, even if it is relatively low miles. Dad got the pump off on Friday. We cracked the old pump open and sure enough the diaphragm was in bad shape. We already had a new old stock Carter pump on hand that we bought a few years ago, to have as a backup. It wasn't ready to go on the car because we needed to modify it the same way we modified the one that was on the car. A little background:

The pedestrian cars had a 5/16" fuel supply line. The performance cars (HiPo 390, 406, 427) had a 3/8" fuel supply line. When we replaced the fuel and brake lines with new stainless lines ten years ago or so, we upgraded the supply line to 3/8". That necessitated replacing the fuel sender in the tank with one setup for 3/8" feed.

The pedestrian cars had a fuel pump that has a screw on canister on the bottom of it that houses a good sized paper fuel filter. The performance cars had a remotely mounted fuel filter housing that bolted to the front of the Driver's side cylinder head like this......

1963-ford-galaxie-427-r-code-engine.jpg

With A/C and power steering, there is no room for this type of setup. We have a new supply line that is 3/8" but our pump is set up for 5/16" inlet. If we use the performance fuel pump, we don't have a fuel filter. What to do? We decided to modify the pump to accept a 3/8" hose nipple brass fitting. Saturday morning, I repeated these modifications to the new pump. First, pull out the pressed in 5/16" hose nipple....

10-05-20_03.jpg

Then, drill out pump housing and cut new threads with a pipe tap...

10-05-20_05.jpg

Here's a look with the pump mounted on the car.....

10-05-20_08.jpg

It doesn't look that bad but it's not a fun place to work. The lower radiator hose makes it tough. We probably needed to pull it but that isn't any fun either. Anyway, we got it done and the car runs fine again. I think the pump has been going out for awhile now. It seemed like dad had to crank the car more than he should to start it. When we put it back together, we filled the fuel filter canister with gas and primed the carb through the vent. It cranked right up.

You can see the new FL1A oil filter in the pic above. Dad changed the oil the day before the fuel pump gave up. We went with Summit's Mineral based 30W "break in" oil. Anyone running this stuff?

sum-1-sae30_yd_xl.jpg

We also spent some time trying to swap the A/C belt. We're out all the way on the adjustment but the belt is bouncing. We sourced a NOS Gates XL Green Stripe belt that was an inch shorter but it was too short. We have one coming that is 1/2 inch shorter and that should do the trick. While I was over there, I took a picture of the ground cable attachment I mentioned in another thread relating to Mr. Sony's FE powered pickup. These are two bolts I welded together to create a "stud" to attach the ground cable to. I did this since the threaded hole in the block is too big for the end of the cable. This picture is for you MrSony ......

10-05-20_07.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Unfortunately, the bottom of the car suffered while it sat in the Painter's un-climate controlled metal building for a year. The parts that are yellow cadmium plated suffered the worst....

10-05-20_09.jpg

10-05-20_10.jpg

Dad is understandably unhappy about this. We really had the bottom of the car looing pretty good when it went out to paint. I'm going to help him clean and touch up stuff under there. Thankfully a lot of what is under there is just body-shop dust but the white corrosion on the yellow cad plated parts is the worst. Anybody deal with this before? Will anything wipe it off or is it a sand and paint exercise?

I knew I should have painted that Milodon oil pan the last time it was out. The finish was already pretty thin. The finish on those things is pretty disappointing.

Anyway, that's it for now friends.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Nice job on the fuel pump. Nice crimp tool. Hope the underside of the car cleans up good. I'm thinking Milodon's quality is questionable, at best. I've heard the same about fit & finish.

• Agree

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Interested to see how the mastercool kit you got compares to my knockoff I bought off fleabay. Mine looks the same but has no matercool name and felt a bit chowdery on the thread.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Nice job on the fuel pump. Nice crimp tool. Hope the underside of the car cleans up good. I'm thinking Milodon's quality is questionable, at best. I've heard the same about fit & finish.
Thanks James. The fit is fine. The finish sucks. I guess we are going to sand it, prime it and paint it in place. I don't want to drop it again after all the drama two years ago.
Interested to see how the mastercool kit you got compares to my knockoff I bought off fleabay. Mine looks the same but has no matercool name and felt a bit chowdery on the thread.
I don't know when I'll use it. We didn't end up needing to make a new hose for the Galaxie. We were able to just re-clock the hose. I didn't think we had enough length to do that but it turns out I was wrong.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor