Deciding on what to buy to build as a sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
Any 4 door g-body.

G-body Bonneville would be my first choice of sleeper, with a 4 door g-body Buick Century or Regal and 4 door Olds Cutlass as a second choices.

4 door malibu would be my last choice as it is not as Grampy as the BOP choices.

Reactions: 2 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Your GP would be ideal - I would figure a 305 at best.

Since my GP only has 60k miles on it, the 305 still runs like a top, there really is no point in Not running it.

Now, should the 305 go t*ts up, a 6.6L 400 Poncho is getting put in it. :giggle:

But hey, if the guy is interested, everything on the planet is for sale at the right price.. Just not sure he would like the price :LOL:

-Gonz

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I think the dog dish hub caps would be a give a way. Thats how the “better “ performing police packages came. As much as I don’t like wood grain decals on a wagon, one of those with hubcaps would create the sleeper disguise. The fanciest/luxury look would be what catches anybody off gaurd. Have a quiet exhaust with cutouts added so you have the best performance when wanted.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
"Sleeper" is all about visuals. It's not a body style, per se, but more of fooling the eye to the power beneath.Literally, ANYTHING can be a sleeper. You just have to resist the urge to put black wheels on it and a loud exhaust. Just make it fast as snot.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am with the walk/speak softly and carry a big stick crowd. I'd look for a weathered car (not rusty), with peeling purple tint (hides enough, and hard to look at), non-descript or absolutely horrible wheels, quiet (with vacuum operated exhaust dump(s)), and a turbo (or Procharger for the simulated bad alternator bearing noise). The issue is if, when, you get bored of the look will you still want to clean up the car? Find something border-line desirable.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Nov 4, 2012
Realistically I don't think any Gbody is a sleeper candidate since the newest of them is 30+ years old, making a sighting of any of them notable. When I think sleeper I think invisible car.

Agreed. On that note I'd do an LS4 swap on a W body Century.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Agreed. On that note I'd do an LS4 swap on a W body Century.
If I remember correctly, I think it was Pontiac had their version of those offered in AWD atleast 1 if not 2 model years. Integrate a full frame in one of those cars with everything to make it perform. That would be one hell of a sleeper.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
If I remember correctly, I think it was Pontiac had their version of those offered in AWD atleast 1 if not 2 model years. Integrate a full frame in one of those cars with everything to make it perform. That would be one hell of a sleeper.

Buick did it for a year or two with the lacrosse but it was pretty flashy. The Century would blend in a lot better.

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
The exhaust cut-outs are a must...

Nothing quite like looking at someone and hitting the switch to get the "Oh, sh*t!" look on their face...

Bonus: You can do a block-long burnout, hit the switch back to stealth mode, and the cops would roll right by ya looking for the hot rod... lol

-Gonz

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Since my GP only has 60k miles on it, the 305 still runs like a top, there really is no point in Not running it.

Now, should the 305 go t*ts up, a 6.6L 400 Poncho is getting put in it. :giggle:

But hey, if the guy is interested, everything on the planet is for sale at the right price.. Just not sure he would like the price :LOL:

-Gonz

I had the same idea as you but my 305 would not blow, I overheated a few times and slow on oil changes but that thing would never blow. If MrSony was around maybe he could have helped the cause. I got tired of waiting and donated the 305 to a kid who was building an enduro car for the circle track. It's been years but last I heard the 305 was still working in his car which was a couple of years after I donated it....

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor