Deciding on what to buy to build as a sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I was thinking, wouldn't a newer platform be a better starting point ? Like a Cop\Vic\Old Cab with a supercharger. Or the 1st "new" Gen Police Package Chargers ( the ugly first ones with 4 sep headlights and bigger nose ). You would get better brakes, RWD, better handling than starting out with something older IMO.

Not sure who follows roadkill garage but if not a de-commisioned Cab ( sleeper ) than I would be all over a Crown Hick for a little more modern muscle !

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Who’s going to think a Charger doesn’t have a Hemi, or the Crown Vic or Caprice doesn’t have the police package. They were intended to be sleepers, kinda like a spoiler alert when you see one.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Who’s going to think a Charger doesn’t have a Hemi, or the Crown Vic or Caprice doesn’t have the police package. They were intended to be sleepers, kinda like a spoiler alert when you see one.

Mercury Marquis or a Buick Road Master?

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
fox or MN10 body T-bird or Cougar. It has everything you need to be a real budget sleeper.

Spoiler alert but I have my eyes on a Regal Estate Wagon for just such a project. Need to do something with my spare motor and transmissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I have been deciding on what to buy to build as a sleeper.Decided it will be a G body,not a Monte Carlo,Regal or Grand Prix.I am thinking a Malibu,4 door or a station wagon.Been looking lately and found a few Malibu station wagons and a couple 4 doors for sale.Plans are to have it look stock but with a high performance engine under the hood with a good drive train being a small block Chevy.Good thing is I have the funds saved up and found a race car fab shop that also builds street/strip cars.Showed me a 4 door they are doing for a customer just like I want it to be with a blown small block Chevy under the the hood.Someone else mentioned Pontiac to me which would be a good idea
Mercury Marquis or a Buick Road Master?
Mercury Marquis!!!!!??? Hey hey HEY NOW, the guy wants a sleeper, he doesn't want everyone to think he's on welfare too!! :ROFLMAO:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Mercury Marquis!!!!!??? Hey hey HEY NOW, the guy wants a sleeper, he doesn't want everyone to think he's on welfare too!! :ROFLMAO:

Don't you mean social security? I'd rock an white wig and liver spotted mask.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
fox or MN10 body T-bird or Cougar. It has everything you need to be a real budget sleeper.

Spoiler alert but I have my eyes on a Regal Estate Wagon for just such a project. Need to do something with my spare motor and transmissions.
The Regal Estate is pretty much the type I mentioned earlier. Who would expect a grandpa luxo wagon to beat anything.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
General rules of thumb:
-Any 4-door looks slower than the equivalent 2-door.
-Any wagon looks slower than the equivalent 4-door.

Having said that, even a 2-door can look sleepy provided you buy the right one. You need to avoid the performance models completely--no Monte SS, no 442, and definitely no Buick with any sort of hood bulge or turbo badges. Instead, buy what looks like grandpa's car--the non-performance base model with full wheel covers, vinyl roof, and a bench seat.

Perhaps something similar to this '77 LeSabre:
https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F11%2F1977-Buick-LeSabre-Drag-Sleeper-Nov-2019.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

"Sleeper" is all about visuals. It's not a body style, per se, but more of fooling the eye to the power beneath.Literally, ANYTHING can be a sleeper. You just have to resist the urge to put black wheels on it and a loud exhaust.

I'd look for a weathered car (not rusty), with peeling purple tint (hides enough, and hard to look at), non-descript or absolutely horrible wheels, quiet (with vacuum operated exhaust dump(s))

Exactly. Once you have grandpa's car, don't touch the exterior. No wheel swaps, no slamming the suspension, no nothing. Keep it looking just like the factory built it so that nobody will give it a second glance.

As for your modifications, you need to hide every last one of them. If your new small block's EFI system has a fancy controller screen, don't go sticking it on top of your dashboard--hide it in the glovebox. No tachometer? Don't go buy a salad plate-sized AutoMeter unit and hang it off the steering column--just rely on your automatic to do its job and upshift as it should. If your finished car is parked and any enthusiast walks past it, glances inside and sees something that catches their eye and/or makes them look closer, you've failed.

Trust me. This is all coming from someone who used to mop the local streets with a turbocharged Dodge Caravan.

(I also bracket raced it for five years.)
c5OfHzK.jpg

:)

Reactions: 5 users

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
Here is the tach in one of my cars. It looks like a broken clock when parked. My line lock is connected to my rear defogger switch.

• Winner
  • Creative
Reactions: 10 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Sleeper. Ugly. Four door. Loaded. RWD. 6.0L. 6L80E. Nice lower mile versions for about $12K. And it will likely smoke the sleeper that you think you'll build for $6K, but end up $15K deep before you know you're about to file bankruptcy. Add a cam and ebay turbo kit and amaze your friends...………………….and enemies. An endless supply of HP goodies awaits.

I've come sooooooooo close to buying one on a couple of occasions.

Image result for 2015 caprice ppv specs

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor