Deciding on what to buy to build as a sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
My opinion the cheapest rwd sleeper to hot rod with a classic look is the good ol 78-90 caprice (2 door or 4 door). Get a junked 92-96 caprice or impala ss for disk brakes, --upgraded rear and other suspension parts and you are handling and stopping good for cheap. Then you can put the $$ in powertrain. Cheaper than doing the same for a g body and caprice parts are more plentiful and damn near all those parts are compatible from 78-96.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I had the same idea as you but my 305 would not blow, I overheated a few times and slow on oil changes but that thing would never blow. If MrSony was around maybe he could have helped the cause. I got tired of waiting and donated the 305 to a kid who was building an enduro car for the circle track. It's been years but last I heard the 305 was still working in his car which was a couple of years after I donated it....

There is this Buick Regal down the block that sounds like its on it's death bed.. Surprised it keeps running the way it is. I've been meaning to grab a video of it, but like the door jamb pictures Ive promised 69 for a few days now, I keep forgetting.. :D

I'll get it tho...

-Gonz

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
This was my sleeper for years and I drove it to work every day but now its to well known o well still fun. 81.jpeg 96.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
If you are just into the idea of fooling people into thinking the car is slow, get yourself a V8 Camaro or Mustang or Challenger and badge it up as a 6 cyl car. Car guys will shitt themselves when their built muscle car gets blown away by a V6 Mustang.

Reactions: 6 users

montecarlolady

Apprentice
May 25, 2019
I am getting good word on a 1983 Chevy Malibu 4 door that is a grandma's car from a friend of mine.V6 with a rod knock and one very small spot of rust on it and the interior is spotless inside.I am first person on the list for interest.Learning the owner is going into a nursing home and the family is selling it soon.

Reactions: 4 users

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
I consider mine a sleeper
D2FA9FD6-BAAD-445C-90F4-84DDBD407B0E.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor