Deciding on what to buy to build as a sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Being 71 years old adds to the stealth. Don't know how many times kids have said - "come on Gramps show us what you got".

Reactions: 5 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
I definitely like the idea of a G body wagon. You already know the platform and the availability of performance parts is unlimited. A wagon will have great resale value when it comes time to get something different.
The problem with building a four door sedan is that nobody will want it when you try and sell it. Also, the “cool factor” is next to zero. Not so with a wagon. When you get tired of the stealth look of the wagon, you can put a set of tires and wheels, dropped spindles on it and have something to be proud of.

Reactions: 1 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
It’s all in how you blend in
7D33E811-F759-4555-B68A-CC842C2E5D4D.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
That model of Caprice was nice. The rally wheels would make me a little suspicious though. If they were changed, what else could be ?? Do you know if they’re Uni-lug? My 86 cop car Caprice had the 5 inch bolt pattern. Regular rally’s wouldn’t fit

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That model of Caprice was nice. The rally wheels would make me a little suspicious though. If they were changed, what else could be ?? Do you know if they’re Uni-lug? My 86 cop car Caprice had the 5 inch bolt pattern. Regular rally’s wouldn’t fit
My 1st 2 cars were hand me down Caprices, a 78 then an 81, and both were 4.75. After the riding lawn mower, it was the first vehicle I ever blew the spider gears out of.....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
From 80-91 the Caprice bodies were the same. I’ve heard before that they used both sizes of bolt pattern during that period. I sold the 70s era rallys I had and got the 2-WD truck rallys back then . Mine had been a Va. state police chase car with a 350 giant 4 barrel. What handicapped it was the single exhast.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Doug,
If I'm not mistaken, B-body wagons and police/ fire dept models used the 5x5 wheels, most of the other models used the 4.75 x 5 pattern. The steelies on my wagon are from several different B-body models and of course they're 4.75's. The later body style B bodies were all 5 x 5's.

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
The Regal Estate is pretty much the type I mentioned earlier. Who would expect a grandpa luxo wagon to beat anything.
And why if it has wood paneling it needs to stay! :D.

I definitely like the idea of a G body wagon. You already know the platform and the availability of performance parts is unlimited. A wagon will have great resale value when it comes time to get something different.
The problem with building a four door sedan is that nobody will want it when you try and sell it. Also, the “cool factor” is next to zero. Not so with a wagon. When you get tired of the stealth look of the wagon, you can put a set of tires and wheels, dropped spindles on it and have something to be proud of.
I would tend to agree and with the sentiment of a "patina sleeper" and the choice of a wagon is great for this. That's kind of what I have planned for mine, way down the line I'd like to get it painted and re-done but will happily rock the patina look for awhile.
For wheels, they can change a look dramatically to suit whatever mood you're in. One could toss on hubcaps/whitewalls for the ultimate sleeper look then put on whatever preferred wheels are and go back and forth. Many g-body wagons are modified to go fast it seems and it often carries over to the looks/body on those, I'm glad I found one that was unmolested, if nothing else but to have the stock appearance, if the original drivetrain was messed with I wouldn't of cried too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor