Did Gm Factory install Hurst shifters in 1978??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Canadain first two, US second two
1551068251963.png

1551068303418.png

1551068424587.png

1551068499772.png

Reactions: 1 user

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
My source shows how much to upgrade to the 4 speed on some models and how much of a credit you got on other models

Attachments

• KIMG0312.JPG
    KIMG0312.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 250

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
This is the book I use as my source

Attachments

• KIMG0314.JPG
    KIMG0314.JPG
    810 KB · Views: 228

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I really appreciate all the input from everyone here, learned a lot. I wasn't able to get any pictures this weekend, however plan to soon. The shiftier lever is round with a flat area in the middle on the sides, that's where its stamped "Hurst"...I unscrewed the boot trim on the floor and peeked underneath and it looks like there is two bolts at the base of the handle.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
All of the 78-81 manual Chevrolet models came with the ITM. The Hurst came on the Pontiacs, some Oldsmobiles and some Buick's. Functionally they are about the same with the ITM requiring you lift the handle for reverse while the Hurst relies on the internal spring loaded detent in the gear box. The rest of the linkage and brackets are identical on the factory units. The after market Hurst shifter is a totally different beast in almost every way. Most noticeable they have a bolt on handle with a squared profile.
I have the Hurst handle, yet it has the bolts at the base, BUT I do not have to "lift the handle" to go into reverse ....I have no idea what i got now lol

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
In my past experience, factory shifters had clipped in handles, and the Comp shifters are bolt-in. The tell tale would be the gate stops at the front and rear of the shifter body.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
In my past experience, factory shifters had clipped in handles, and the Comp shifters are bolt-in. The tell tale would be the gate stops at the front and rear of the shifter body.
So if i pointed the camera in under the shifter boot and took a few shots, you would be able to tell what I have in there?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I really appreciate all the input from everyone here, learned a lot. I wasn't able to get any pictures this weekend, however plan to soon. The shiftier lever is round with a flat area in the middle on the sides, that's where its stamped "Hurst"...I unscrewed the boot trim on the floor and peeked underneath and it looks like there is two bolts at the base of the handle.
I have the Hurst handle, yet it has the bolts at the base, BUT I do not have to "lift the handle" to go into reverse ....I have no idea what i got now lol
That would be an over the counter Comp Plus shifter since you have 2 bolts holding the lever on. As for it being a round stick most likely who ever installed it ordered a round stick to replace the flat one. Still there can still be possible that the round stick was original to the shifter. Not knowing when it went in (or even a very slim chance that Hurst did ship bolt on stick units to GM) it is hard to say how it all came together for your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor