Did Gm Factory install Hurst shifters in 1978??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The OEM GM Hurst shifter is going to be a lot less common and the cars that they typically came on were built in very small numbers (example are the Pontiac models were only available in 1979). Buick and Oldsmobile I believe offered their A bodies with the 4 speed in 78 and 79. Chevrolet made 4 speeds in the states and Canada through the 1980 model year. They did continue availability of the 3 speed manual transmission on the Chevrolets in 1981 but they were only available on the Chevrolet V6.
Maybe someone else can chime in on the availability of manual transmissions after 79 on the Buicks and Oldsmobiles as I do not have any info on them.
I do know that one of the rarest parts for any of the A body 4 speeds is the original shifter knob. The one used on the Hurst shifter models is especially rare as it is similar to softer vinyl and plastic knob used on the ITM shifters but it does not have the "LIFT" wording by the R.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
My brother had a '78 Regal coupe, 3.8 V6 with the Hurst 4 speed in it. If I remember it was a round stick with the logo in a flat portion on the stick, black knob with shift pattern in it.
Light blue outside with blood red Naugahyde inside, standard gauges. I beat the everlovin' sh*t out of that car every time he let me drive it.:mrgreen:

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Mine came with a ITM, but 3rd and the 8-track kept beating on each other so I changed it to this.:cool:

Attachments

• 81.jpeg
    81.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 241

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
El Camino's & Caballero's had 4 speeds up to '81 for V8's only, Malibu's till '80, Monte's until '79 for both 3 & 4 speeds. I would think Lemans/Grand Ams would be the same as the Malibu, Grand Prix's same as the Monte. Even Buick & Olds might of been the same matching model levels to Chevys. Might need to look up old sales brochures to see what trans options in the then 49 free states & Canada.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
1979 was the only year a 4 speed was available in a Pontiac. 232 in the Grand Prix not sure how many in the Grand Am

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor