Did Gm Factory install Hurst shifters in 1978??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
That would be an over the counter Comp Plus shifter since you have 2 bolts holding the lever on. As for it being a round stick most likely who ever installed it ordered a round stick to replace the flat one. Still there can still be possible that the round stick was original to the shifter. Not knowing when it went in (or even a very slim chance that Hurst did ship bolt on stick units to GM) it is hard to say how it all came together for your car.
Appreciate the knowledge you have and are sharing with me on it...Im learning :) To my understanding, from the original owner, it came with the car as it was, and what your saying would make sense....Gm has done some crazy things in the past, and keeping good records is not one of them ! lol

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
When I did my conversion over 20 years ago the only info I had was what I could get printed from the Chevy parts departments to see what I had to track down. I was just learning to use the inner web to find parts. Atleast here there are several of us either by trial & error or just lucky enough to get one that already was a stick to be able to pass this info to others. We always need more members of the third pedal club.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
When I did my conversion over 20 years ago the only info I had was what I could get printed from the Chevy parts departments to see what I had to track down. I was just learning to use the inner web to find parts. Atleast here there are several of us either by trial & error or just lucky enough to get one that already was a stick to be able to pass this info to others. We always need more members of the third pedal club.
Couldn't agree more! I have been "G" body my entire life and am not new to the scene by any means, but this being my 1st standard shift car, I feel ignorant to say the least!...I'm usually the one sharing info and answering questions, not the one asking for it lol...appreciate all your help, and everyone else's too in this!

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Hurst does offer a reproduction round profile shifter handle with a bolt on provision for popular cars like late 60's GTO and 69 Camaro/Firebird.
They do not offer a reproduction of the 78-81 A body profile that I have seen.
So the car either has a non OEM handle or someone drilled the factory handle to bolt to the shifter; I have done this myself years ago with an ITM handle to a Competition Plus shifter. I have also seen guys damage the metal lock tabs on the factory shifter handle where the handle will no longer "lock" into the socket in the top of the mechanism. To rectify they will drill the shifter socket and handle to hold the handle in. There are already 2 dimples on the proper location to drill on the Hurst (the lower one on the ITM is too far down).
IMG_20190225_164925477.jpg

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Hurst does offer a reproduction round profile shifter handle with a bolt on provision for popular cars like late 60's GTO and 69 Camaro/Firebird.
They do not offer a reproduction of the 78-81 A body profile that I have seen.
So the car either has a non OEM handle or someone drilled the factory handle to bolt to the shifter; I have done this myself years ago with an ITM handle to a Competition Plus shifter. I have also seen guys damage the metal lock tabs on the factory shifter handle where the handle will no longer "lock" into the socket in the top of the mechanism. To rectify they will drill the shifter socket and handle to hold the handle in. There are already 2 dimples on the proper location to drill on the Hurst (the lower one on the ITM is too far down). View attachment 107019
Thanks for this info!! Really appreciate it!! Ill get a few pics tonight and post them up so i can solve this mystery lol :)

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The Hurst round stick I picked up a few years back matched the bend profile of the flat one that it replaced. Hurst discontinued it when they started to clean up the catalog of low demand/sales items. Regardless it does look better than the flat stick that Comp Plus shifters came with.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Here are the pictures I promised of the Shifter in question In my 1978 Buick Century Sport Coupe. There is no ITM on the shifter base, and it appears to be the Hurst base BUT has the bolts not the clip to hold the handle on.???

Attachments

• h1.png
    h1.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 198
  • h2.png
    h2.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 245
  • h3.png
    h3.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 212
  • h7.jpg
    h7.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 196
  • h8.jpg
    h8.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 213

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Got a picture of the entire handle AND the right side of the pocket the handle slips into? From what I see so far it looks like a factory one that someone drilled.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Got a picture of the entire handle AND the right side of the pocket the handle slips into? From what I see so far it looks like a factory one that someone drilled.
Just added 2 more pics! :)

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor