BUILD THREAD DINO THE EL CAMINO - ‘81 you’ve seen before

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
ok, so just for fun I set a piece of the bed trim on the edge. And it doesn't come anywhere near these holes. <scratches head>

OK, maybe they're for bed rails or something. Nope, those would be in pairs. I'm completely stumped as to their purpose now. Maybe somebody had a cover over the bed that screwed down over the top or something? Totally at a loss, still scouring Elky pictures on teh intarwebs trying to see if something comes up. Need to consult the parts catalog bible also.

pic again for reference.

img_2839-jpg.75273

edit, yeah, that's probably what it was. found this pic. Guess they can just get filled and erased. good to know.

002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
got the alignment done today. wasn't off terribly but enough to make it wander around quite a bit. Restored it to normal g-body handling anyway, without having to fight it. I guess I got used to the way Betty handles now lol. Its windy AF today so I'm not 100% sure, feels better to me. I could take my hands off the wheel now.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Snaps for a taunea cover, that's what they were most likely for. My 78 SS had them, I filled them.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
the fuse for the a/c blower is loose in the block. fell out again. :blam:

And I think the hard-closing door may have helped to break the window mechanism on the pass. side. Its like the motor is out of sync with the mechanism. I can roll it down about 4" then it stops and grinds like its against a stop but still trying. I can roll it back up all the way but it doesn't stop, keeps trying to go up past the stop and grinds a whole lot worse. I have the door panel off to see if anything obvious fell out or looked out of place, but nothing hits me. Any thoughts?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
The door on the passengers side was never hard to shut????

Not before I changed the weatherstripping. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Ahhhh, that would do it. Is the fuse too thin on the metal part?

Not sure. I didn’t go nuts figuring it out. Basically did the same thing it did when I looked at it w you. Blower stopped, push in the fuses and it works again. -shrug-

I’m thinking something in that window motor broke. Looks to be the original. Only one bolt is accessible, will have to drill out for the rest.

In other news. I was at the folks in wisco this weekend and picked up a 69 qjet and a spare rear sway bar from “the pile”. He was supposed to save me an olds 350 but sent everything but the big inch motors and pontiacs to the yard. :(

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Yup. Bad window motor. I think it stripped out the nylon gear. New motor I had lying around for Betty went in. Also tweaked the stops a bit and got the seal a little tighter. I think the door seal needs to compress more and it will seal up better. Or at least be easier to adjust to seal.

Had to drill out the door for those two bolts. And of course I couldn’t find my hole saw so I had to go get a new kit. Which the pilot bit promptly bent. Ugh. Still got er done tho.

Eventually have to swap the works over to the new door. But for the time being hopefully it doesn’t get the floor wet.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
anyone know the specs (size/thread) on the 3 bolts/screws that fasten the radiator support air dam on? I just noticed that its missing, and it should probably go back on. I probably have a couple of the air dams lying around but not the screws. They go in the cage nuts on the bottom of the core support.

Ordered an edelbrock throttle/trans cable bracket hopefully I can get the kickdown working again. this thing will be wicked when that works. Will try and wire up the electric choke to work, too. B*tch is hard to get started when its cold out.

Crawled under and felt up the steering. It still drives loose and I think its because the tie rods are wiped out. Wish I'd done that before taking it in for an alignment. Luckily I know how to do this now so easy peasy. Going to replace everything spindle-to-spindle... Will have to get aligned again but hey I like it tight.

Been toying with the idea of adding a proper working cowl induction setup to this hood, that seals up to the cowl, and putting '70 "cowl induction" emblems on the bump. Need to research my options here but its on the radar.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor