Do cat cleaners work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Hope it works for you, btw sorry for the poor spelling/ grammar. My smart phone isn't so smart.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Mark the ones I used were 18mm thread dia. Use a 1/2 drill bit to deepen the inside of the one to accept the O2 sensor. Should look like this pic. BTW depending on brand od sensor you may need to use a bigger dia bit

Attachments

• IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 433

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Thank's for that pic Mark. The O2 sensor should show up today and then I can figure out what adapter I need. I was leery of using the old sensor because it was so rusted to the cat pipe I had to clamp the sensor in a vise and laboriously unscrew the pipe from it. There was about a thread and a half left so there may not be a good connection to the cat pipe not to mention I tried using my torch to loosen it and it's 15 years old anyway. Probably a good idea to start with a new one, and with a couple of those adapters she should get fooled into thinking all is well. After this fiasco I'm glad I elected to cut out a bad section of my Wife's Cobalt's muffler pipe and just weld in a new section. I was thinking of replacing the whole thing with Walker pipes but got lazy. Good thing!!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Mark, yup, 18mm, but I can't fit a straight extension. Hits the body. No problem, I just ordered a 45º extension, stainless no less. That should fit perfect. It seems the aftermarket has stepped up and offered a wide variety of extensions because performance cats trip the CEL too. I never imagined all the fuss over a cat, but then I usually rip it out and replace with true duals. This is the first time I need to work with the complete system in place and functioning. Thank's for pointing me in the right direction!

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
No prob bud, just let me know how it turns out for yah

jmerc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2009
I understand your wanting to have the car functioning correctly as it was designed but in the meantime I was under the impression that your car would not have to go through emissions inspection for NYS only safety because of the year.

jmerc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2009
Never mind, I just assumed we were talking about your wagon, I should have read. A bit slower.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I'm happy to live in a county that doesn't enforce this type of stuff so vigorously. This thread is a perfect example to lead back to the 'why do some people hate emissions law so much' thread in off-topic section; this thread is a perfect example of that 'why' lol

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's the State emissions, and nobody really enforces anything more than what your own car rats you out on. They plug you in to Albany, and if you have an emissions related code, you fail. That's the only reason I need to fix this- there is no dodging the OBD2 on your own car. But aside from that, no one cares what is under the hood or what you have done to the car, as long as there is no CEL you are good to go. My son-in-law has a Tahoe with an ABS code we can't cure and it still passes. As far as non- testing/ lax inspection areas, I've seen people driving worse cars than some I've sent to the junkyard, so testing/inspections is a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor