Do Grand Nationals get too much credit for the greatness of the G-Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I remember seeing these cars dumped on the streets of NY back in the day. They were either stolen, or the classic insurance job. I'm sure my rear end came out of one of these cars 30 yrs ago.
My buddy saw a GN in the junkyard and was kind enough to pick it up for me. I thought $300. was a bargain back then as well.

Btw, I never had the pleasure of riding in a GN or T-Type car. I have always liked them and oogled at them when one drove by. They always looked so sinister.

Reactions: 1 users

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I have noticed how much G-Body parts have gone up in just 8 years. I spent a bunch on the El Camino when we restored it 2010. It would cost me twice that today. It would be nice if all G-Body values would increase also.
Negative, I'd like to see prices stay low. I prefer to keep these cars as somewhat of the 'hidden potential' that the majority of car guys tend to overlook. I enjoy cars, I enjoy people who love their vettes, mustangs, camaros, and challengers, etc....., I like the idea that I can come close to their level of performance at a fraction of the cost. I believe other than the specialty cars, the g-body remains an excellent introduction for folks that don't intend to pour a lot of funds into the hobby they love. My dream car remains a 1987 Buick Grand National. Bone stock is fine by me.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I sure wish I knew somebody with a stock GN so I could experience this incredibly awesome car, since the only one I ever drove (an 86 that belonged to a former employer) was a total dog. I had heard all the raving about them and was looking forward to being impressed. I was not.

I'm assuming it was the miles (in the mid 80s) or poor state of tune (seemed OK, but who knows), but for the 7K he paid (circa 2000) I expected a lot more, given that the car badly needed paint and bumper fillers (which we did).

I don't discount other people's claims about the awesomeness of the GN, but that was not my experience....especially given all the bragging about being a corvette killer and the fastest production car of 1987. I think he wore that "we brake for corvettes" t shirt every other day for a solid month.

Like I said, it is hit or miss. The difference between quality premium gas and a tank of dogshit 87 would be enough to completely kill a TR's performance.

But one in a high state of tune is a completely different beast. Good ol' fashioned supertuning.

Reactions: 1 user

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
I don't want to diss any GN fans but no.
And this is just my opinion. But to me the Buick is my least favorite G body.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I don't want to diss any GN fans but no.
And this is just my opinion. But to me the Buick is my least favorite G body.

And that's a.o.k.

The beauty of the second gen a-body (78-81) and gbody (82-88) is they made so many cars, each with their own skin and unique feel, that almost everybody could find one they like better than the rest.

Personally either an 82 gn or a nice 87 turbo limited... that I like. (I like colors and variety). I'd also want another Canadian built 3.8 87 cutlass supreme. A monte ls with a blue interior... like that too.

Glad you did find one yourself though!

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I remember seeing these cars dumped on the streets of NY back in the day. They were either stolen, or the classic insurance job. I'm sure my rear end came out of one of these cars 30 yrs ago.
My buddy saw a GN in the junkyard and was kind enough to pick it up for me. I thought $300. was a bargain back then as well.

Btw, I never had the pleasure of riding in a GN or T-Type car. I have always liked them and oogled at them when one drove by. They always looked so sinister.
I worked on them at the dealership, when they were new. I always looked forward to the "Test Drive"......:sneaky:

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I worked on them at the dealership, when they were new. I always looked forward to the "Test Drive"......:sneaky:
Lucky you, Paul. :D I'm sure it was a fun experience.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I will say the GN is what initially inspired me to build my Monte, I just loved the look of the all black car with power.
I started off with a 400 SBC and eventually I switched to big blocks.

• Agree

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
My cousin had a '87 GN. Traded a 1991 suburban straight across for it, the dude just wanted a hunting rig. We couldn't ram that burb down the guys throat fast enough!! It absolutely lived up to all the hype, even In a sketchy state of repair and tune as it had been sitting in his driveway for two years. We put bigger valve springs in it and a 255lph fuel pump along with all the typical tune up parts. That was the extent of the aftermarket parts in it and it was a riot!

At a stoplight you could lift off the brake, Matt the throttle and it rewards you with the gutless moan of a weak suck 3.8. About halfway through first gear you can hear the troops rally. You get most of the way across a typical intersection and stuff starts happening! It goes from 0 to 15psi in an instant and simultaneously shifts second gear, blowing both tires loose and trying to shove you through the seat.

There isn't a comparison between these cars and anything else. They are special.

I hope to have one but with prices going the way they are it's not looking good.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Negative, I'd like to see prices stay low. I prefer to keep these cars as somewhat of the 'hidden potential' that the majority of car guys tend to overlook. I enjoy cars, I enjoy people who love their vettes, mustangs, camaros, and challengers, etc....., I like the idea that I can come close to their level of performance at a fraction of the cost. I believe other than the specialty cars, the g-body remains an excellent introduction for folks that don't intend to pour a lot of funds into the hobby they love. My dream car remains a 1987 Buick Grand National. Bone stock is fine by me.

To keep the prices low means there in little interest in these car and that would mean that the companies who produce aftermarket products would not want to put any money into research an development for a market that has no interest. You can't have it both ways. Plus I would be happy to pay more for a product that is manufactured in the US by a US company than buying an offshore product.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor